Archinect
anchor

Help Requested: Hiring an architect in Los Angeles

LA_Client

Hi,
This is my first post and I hope you can help us out.

We are looking to hire an architect to design a modern house for us in west LA. After several months of looking around we have a pretty good idea of what we want. We want a modern design with some traditional spaces (i.e. not a combined living/dining/kitchen but a formal dining room). We prefer an architecture firm that designs the interior details (i.e. built-ins) so we do not need an ID.

This will be new construction and we estimate 5-7k square feet. Our architectural design/consulting budget is 100-200k.

We want to get started very soon. We hope to find a talented firm with residential experience (built work), hillside experience, relationship with other good consultants, and excellent references.

Some of the local architects work that we like include MarmolRadziner and sPFA to give an idea of what we are looking at.

Any suggestions for some firms to look at would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

LA_Client

Jun 7, 10 7:14 pm
raptureuk

this is really who you want:

http://www.standard-la.com/index.php/architecture

when you go to meet with them their house is literally up the hill from their offices, ask to see it. your decision will be made pretty much when you check this house out. also, they have quite a lot of residential work. check them out and good luck!

Jun 7, 10 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
LA_Client

^Thanks Raptureuk. I will look at it now. I appreciate the fast response.

Jun 7, 10 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

You should look to Orhan Ayyuce, from this site. I'm sure you will find him a designer who will be sensitive to your needs and also provide you with a very livable home. Hopefully you will find him here or he will find you here. Best of Luck ....all we design is "Connecticut Ramblerss" and I'm sure it isn't fitting for LA.

Jun 7, 10 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

Snook beat me to it. I was gonna suggest Orhan as well. You can him through his archinect profile and maybe his blog too.

Jun 7, 10 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
LA_Client

^thanks guys.

Please keep the recommendations coming.

Thanks.

Jun 7, 10 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

I was going to suggest Orhan too. Very sensitive, gorgeous work, but not flashy. If you go to this thread you'll see examples of his older work - Metropolis Architecture Bookstore, just beautiful.

Also thank you, LA client, for coming here and respectfully asking for suggestions for finding a professional. A lot of people come here looking for free advice on projects they are designing themselves and are, somewhat justifiably, subject to a lot of anger from those of us who take our profession's demands very seriously. You sound like a good client.

Jun 7, 10 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

To reiterate everyone's suggestions; Orhan Ayyuce would be my recommendation as well

Jun 7, 10 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks a million. I am so elated to be recommended by such very talented people.

Jun 7, 10 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Of course, Orhan, why wouldn't we think of you? You rock.

snook I just realized you said you're not an option because you do "Connecticut ramblers". With all my residential experience being in Indiana (picture a pancake with trees), I don't have any hillside experience, so I'm not an option either! ;-)

Jun 7, 10 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

What a wonderful thread to see in the forum! Good luck, LA client! I wish I had a referral to you - I'm sure some architect will be grateful to have you as clients. You seem like a breath of fresh air.

Jun 7, 10 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Also, I would recommend Orhan as well.

Anyone remember what the name of mdler's old firm was? They had some very crisp work in their portfolio, that I remember quite liking.

Any up-and-coming LA'ers here?

Jun 7, 10 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Just emailed you La_Client..

Jun 8, 10 12:12 am  · 
 · 

mdler's old firm,
my dear friends, great architects: unruh-boyer

Jun 8, 10 12:17 am  · 
 · 

I like this new trend on archinect: helping folks hire architects (preferably architects that we all know and love from here)!

Jun 8, 10 10:45 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

orhan,

i vaguely remember mdler posting that when he was moving up here to seattle...

they have some phenomenal work

Jun 8, 10 11:17 am  · 
 · 
crave

be sure to take a look at this firm hughes umbanhowar architects
they have a vast amount of experience on modern homes and completed a significant hillside restoration on a residence by Neutra, Paseo Miramar. You'll find their services are at the highest level yet very personable

Jun 8, 10 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I LIKE this:
http://www.standard-la.com/index.php/architecture

Jun 8, 10 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
LA_Client

Thank you everyone for your posts. We are looking at all your suggestions.

Please continue to suggest a few more. We want to look at several firms so we appreciate all other suggestions.

Also myriam, thanks for your kind words.

We are very excited about starting our project and hope to hire someone soon.

Jun 10, 10 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Phantom

Also you cant take a look at www.bau10.com

Jun 10, 10 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
akpoly

You might want to look at www.MontalbaArchitects.com

Jun 10, 10 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

LA_Client
You might want to look at a website called Architizer.com. There you can search under "Firms" with a term like "Los Angeles" and you'll see maybe 70 firms practicing in LA, mostly modern ones. The firms have images of their work on the same website.

Jun 10, 10 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM
http://www.franklinreport.com
Jun 11, 10 1:10 am  · 
 · 

A dear friend used to work for Bau10 back in the 90s, so I've visited a few of their projects. They do good work with funky geometries and specialize in acoustics.

One question to ask any prospective firms is how they approach sustainability? While sustainability may not be one of your primary selection criteria, their answer will tell a lot about the design process and the ownership costs you can anticipate. Doing sustainable design well ,takes extra skill and may not increase your construction budget significantly - while reducing your utility bills, increasing your health, and improving the durability of the house. Anybody that promises 'too good to be true' results without backing up their claim with examples should be avoided - there is lots of green washing around.

A few firms in the west-side that have exceptional credentials with delivering great design and high environmental performance. Pugh+Scarpa and Morphosis are some of the firms that pop into my head right now that have passed my green BS test.

Jun 11, 10 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
blanco teko

No suggestions, but I quite like the idea of vicariously following the commissioning and design of a house through the archinect forums... let us know who you hire!

Jun 11, 10 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
crave

any updates? did you select an architect yet?

Aug 24, 10 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
abbilene

have seen manniganedwards.com's modern interior design work at my colleagues place.. see if you too like theirs.

Aug 27, 10 3:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: