Archinect
anchor

Level of technical detail to include for work portfolio projects?

dster

Hi all,

I'm starting to collect together my projects and get a portfolio started for when I try to find internships (currently working through my undergraduate degree) and I'm wondering what to  show when I describe a project. Obviously I plan on showing models, plans, sections, and elevations for each project, but I'm wondering if you had any thoughts on the technical stuff.

By this I mean I want to show that I'm not out there in some fantasy land imagining perfectly flat roofs, not accounting for drainage, etc. For every project I've done, even if they are conceptually "out there," I've made sure to size the structural members, make sure (to the best of my ability) that things will join together properly, and so on. I'm a little stuck because on one hand I want to effectively communicate this, but on the other, it's not like I'm an expert on this stuff and anything technical that I show probably won't be that impressive or super interesting. So I don't want to take up too much visual real estate on something that might distract from the project at large.

Anyway, any thoughts on how much technical stuff you like to see from a just-starting undergrad's portfolio? I wonder if just being conscious of it it O.K. -- i.e. when I show a section and I'm careful about wall thicknesses in different parts of the building, maybe that is good enough to demonstrate that I'm thinking about this stuff? Or would it be beneficial to get into the details? Maybe just have a separate part of the portfolio demonstrating some knowledge of structures?

Apr 28, 14 5:45 pm
accesskb

At least one detail ... I understand most are still trying to get the gripes with their first year with studio, but you likely had a technical or building construction course where you've had to do a detail.  It doesn't have to be related to one of your studio projects.  Just an indication that you've worked on a detail is good for a first portfolio I think :)

Apr 28, 14 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: