Archinect
anchor

listing religion related jobs in resume?

iamjena

Hi, I need some advice about resumes...

I graduated in '08 from berkeley with a BA in Architecture (non-professional).. I spent a year in "East Asia" as an intern with Campus Crusade for Christ International. I've been looking for an architecture-related position since returning to the States in September with, you guessed it, no luck.

I'm a little concerned that my affiliation with a mission-minded Christian non-profit, may turn potential employers off to my resume. While I do not wish to hide my particular beliefs or experiences, I do want to be sensitive to the fact that everyone does not share my faith.

I have worded the job description as such:

"Campus Crusade for Christ International East Asia August 2008 - August 2009
International Intern
Lived abroad for one year to help build up leaders and movements on 17 different college campuses. Worked on a bilingual, multi-cultural team to reach and mentor college students."

In my cover letter, I usually expand upon my team-work experience, and the fact that I raised the monetary funds for the full year prior to leaving.

any thoughts or suggestions?

May 19, 10 7:06 pm

i don't think the problem is your resume, just the economy.

you were working as missionary as main job or was it folded into teaching english and other things? if the latter, if you really feel like modifying things perhaps you could highlight the non-proselytizing part of your trip...

May 19, 10 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
iamjena

It was my main job, but I was also a full-time language student, so I am able to list my language ability as well. thanks for your reply.

May 19, 10 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
druf

I think stating that you were a missionary for a year could be hurting you. I know that your particular organization is not a fringe group, but the word "crusade" in your title can sound a little radical to some. If I was looking at a potential employee that was fresh off a "crusade for christ" is Asia - it might make me wonder if that person would bring religious discussions and/or attempts to convert people into the office. That may or may not be the case, but it could be a perception working against you.
Also, there is a pretty high percentage of Jews and Atheists (and gays) in the architectural profession. A lot of people that fall into one of those groups are turned off (and probably would not hire) someone who was publicly evangelical. Its not an indictment against you personally, but there is a pretty overwhelming sense in those communities that evangelical Christians are against them.
I'd say as a generalization that in any intellectual or creative profession (artists, scientists, architects, writers, etc...) you are going to find a bias against Christian groups. Its not fair (and it doesn't mean that you are not a good person) but it can be a black mark. You might just be better off stating that you took an opportunity to travel abroad for a year and leave it at that. Ironically, a year spent aimlessly wandering around Asia would probably be seen in a more favorable light.

May 19, 10 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

absolutely you should have that on you resume, but stress what work you did and the skills and leadership you provided, and how your experience will make you a better designer or whatever position you're applying for.

A friend of mine is a development/fundraising exec at Catholic Charities, and she's quite Jewish in her own religious beliefs. I don't believe anyone has ever held that against her, and she does support the humanitarian mission of her employer despite the fact that a different creed backs that employer.

Frankly, if my church/denomination (I'm a Protestant mainliner) needed somebody like me to do work that ties to what I do, I'd really be tempted to apply. It'll probably be pretty rewarding.

Conversely, I don't think I could/would work for an employer that would reject me out of hand because of the religion I grew up in.

May 19, 10 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

by the way druf, if I'm not mistaken Campus Crusade for Christ is both inter denominational and politically non-partisan. It has even partnered with gay rights organizations in areas such as HIV outreach and anti-hate causes, although I'm sure it's members have differing opinions on sexual preference issues.

May 19, 10 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

An employer (one with reasonable ethics regarding labor law) will cringe when they see that.

That being said, Campus Crusade for Christ will either help you a lot or hurt you a lot. No offense-- and while it is one of the biggest charities out there-- is not without critics. Even people within religious organizations are not very comfortable with CCC as CCC often "steeplejacks" religious communities through pervasive media saturation and non-denominational-but-theological ideology.

I know this is starting an argument right here. Apologize. Think whatever you want of CCC. Agree to disagree.

I would simply write on your resume [Religious Organization-- name withheld]. And if you get questions asked by phone, email or interview (although they technically/legally can't asked these questions during an interview), explain yourself and why you chose not to admit it.

@urbanist-- politically non-partisan.
For tax reasons. The companies involved with CCC are the Amway of the religious world making bank developing media, instruction and other materials for christian churches worldwide.

May 19, 10 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

Next time I will adjust my personal statement to include Anarchistic Atheist from East Europe. I will let you know the results.
In general I agree with Unicorn, but - my suggestion is not to cave in with organization name, until you will hired. Just reassure them it is not a satanic clan or anything else extreme there might be.

Good luck!

May 20, 10 8:56 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

personally, i can't see how it would hurt you. most employers are more professional than putting religious biases in front of hiring a good employee. besides, most would probably be impressed that you worked abroad. i think you're not getting work because there just isn't any. take it off your resume, and you'll probably get the same responses.

May 20, 10 10:32 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I completely disagree. [name withheld] sounds WAY shadier than any religious organization would. Just put "non-profit organization" and leave it at that. If they ask, be honest.

On the other hand - if this forms a SIGNIFICANT part of your experience - then you need to put the name of the organization on there. Since it doesn't sound like you have much work experience yet, and this will be the bulk of your resume, then you just need to balls up and put it on there. As a believing person you should feel comfortable simply praying about this one, correct?

The reality is that you have no idea what effect it will have on the person looking at your resume. None of us have any idea what effect any of the little things we put on our resume will have. That's the beauty / curse of individual communication. The best you can be is true to yourself and see what happens. In any case, firms know they are hiring individual human beings, and in fact they do look for things that separate people from the pack, so to speak - for good or for ill - and you have no way of knowing what those things will be. No sense in just making a bland, empty vanilla resume for the sake of some perceived notion of what the person on the other end MIGHT want, and thus stripping your resume of any indication of YOU.

Fuck a bunch of [name withheld] bullshit. Be yourself. That's who they'll decide to hire, anyway. As someone who's been the point person to review resumes at a couple of my former firms, I can tell you that [name withheld] would have instantly gotten you tossed from my pile. "It's a resume and he doesn't want to say where his experience was? What's wrong with this person? What's wrong with this organization? Not worth figuring this one out." (toss)

May 20, 10 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I also completely disagree with the name withheld thing. If I was reviewing resumes, I'd throw that out too. It sounds shady and a bit overly dramatic.

Just list the name of the organization correctly.. I really do not think it'll cause an employer backlash, at least not from the type of employer you would care to work for if you really do have the religious convictions that reflect on your past choice of employment (if that was the case). Furthermore, smart, rational emplyers will also know enough to know that people work for organizations like CCC without actually being an adherent to their agenda (my Jewish friend who is a senior exec at Catholic Charities being a case in point).

I suppose you can check to see if CCC has a legal entity with a name that reads CCC International, Inc. or something, leaving it ambiguous, but you really should not have to do that.

Don't use "name withheld" or "not-for-profit" organization. That'll make it worse for you in getting a fair hearing with potential employers. They'll think you're not disclosing the info because you worked for the mob, the Animal Liberation Front or Operation Rescue, or somebody else really controversial (instead of just someone that might potentially incite their bigotry and intolerance).

It is completely illegal to discriminate against a candidate on the basis of their religion.

May 20, 10 11:07 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Keep it. Do you really want to work for someone who will hold it against you working for a religious organization while in school? Not only that, but techincally that is a highly unethical (and illegal) thing to do.

May 20, 10 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Endooo

I agree with people who say keep it. While we may not know what individual employers may hold against you, the flip side is also true. Perhaps it may even help your chances. I'm just saying that you shouldn't worry too much over something you have no control over. Any other alternative to putting the actual organization name would seem slightly suspicious in my opinion.

I also agree with the sentiment of being yourself. Like melt said, would you really want to work for someone who would hold your religion against you?

I may be completely wrong, but that's my two cents for what it's worth.

May 20, 10 11:49 am  · 
 · 

what melt said.

if you are going to take off the org name and replace with [withheld] you will come off as a potentially weird fellow. might as well renounce christianity really.

i am not sure why you are embarrassed or willing to cover up your religion. myself i am not christian and live in a country where religion is not part of daily life for 99% of the population (japan), but i find it intriguing that you would hide the fact of your own self. sort of like hiding the fact of being gay out of fear of retribution. both ideas are mildly repugnant to me. my guess is that most architects, liberal folks that we often are, would feel the same. don't sweat it. you should be more worried that your portfolio is not up to snuff, really....

May 20, 10 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

The reason for [name withheld] is this:

Doza (anarchist athiest) and Iamjena (evangelical christian) apply for the same job.

Doza worked for a secularist (athiest) organization for 2 years. IamJena worked at a Christian organization for two years.

Scenarion 1: Doza gets the job over Jena. Jena sues on the bases of discrimination. Jena's lawyers subpoena for your companies HR files. The only proof other than hearsay is the resumes themselves.

Scenarion 2: Jena gets the jobs over Doza. Same thing.

This becomes even trickier when you have things like the internet where you can cyberstalk your potential hiring managers (where you can find out the interests and activities of said people).

While employers legally have to accommodate and not impede the religious expression of potential employees, this becomes a giant legal liability.

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/religion.html#_Toc203359497

Technically, you should not put anything on your resume that identifies your age, race, sex, disability, religion and in some states sexual or political orientation.

May 20, 10 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

yes, but putting your job down there says nothing about your religion per se, and any rational, fair and decent employer should recognize that the law (and ethical practice) requires him or her to read your resume that way. As I said, my friend at Catholic Charities is pretty clearly an Orthodox Jew, but yet her resume will show she worked for the Roman Catholic Church for much of her adult life.

I don't think one should hide stuff on their resume when it's stuff nobody should rightfully be offended by, and if one does do so, my guess is that one runs a bigger chance of being suspected of hiding more than one is actually hiding. If you redact the info, they might very well assume that you work for ELF or Operation Rescue or National Swingers Association, and that will definitely hurt you.

May 20, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Well, it's different if your resume is like:

Accountant, Catholic Church

Missionary, Catholic Church

Those are two huge differences there. In IamJena's case, her job directly reflects her religion affiliation. In either case, the employer should only need to know what your skills are and not necessarily the organization.

* Employers can reduce the risk of discriminatory employment decisions by establishing written objective criteria for evaluating candidates for hire or promotion and applying those criteria consistently to all candidates.

I.e., employers can (and should ask) that these things not be known until after a job is offered. Is there a clear link between your previous job and this job? Will you be mentoring people in two languages in an architecture office? Did you perform routine office tasks?

If this is how people would like the run their offices, so be it. But can your firm take a $100,000-$5,000,000 dollar hit plus legal fees from a lawsuit?
May 20, 10 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
gorangatang

Justifying discrimination by claiming you will get sued for discrimination if you don't is kind of insane.

You should include the job, stressing the transferable skills you developed in that time. In this profession as one who has reviewed both potential employee and graduate student applications, I find that the portfolio of work and your references are what get you in the door, the CV is basically a tie breaker.

Basically when the job market is tight as an employer you have a unique opportunity to hire experienced people at a discount, and that may be some of what is going here. Many employers will see the CCC experience as a plus as long as the rest of your experience is a match. So don't leave it out, but make sure you are demonstrating a skill set as opposed to an ideology.

May 20, 10 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

some of this advise you are getting is perfectly valid,
like standing your ground on showing what you did and who you are, keep it simple. Don't create a confrontational atmosphere during your interview by talking about religion, but do talk about how your trip improved your architecture education or experience. Keep in mind that in a corporate office or even a small limited liability partnership, expressing personal views on anything will put you on a list of people that are hard to work with.

go back to the basics:
Research the firm
Study them as if they are your future employer, get to know what they value, if the work is in line with your ideas then good.

There are firms that focus on religious buildings.

Some firms do require you to sign an employee contract which is more of signing a don't ask don't tell policy.

May 21, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: