Archinect
anchor

Retention Ponds

wurdan freo

Any rules of thumb for estimating the size of a retention pond?

May 10, 10 2:42 pm

for planning purposes use 5-10% of the drainage area. larger sites/less impervious coverage require smaller percentages, smaller sites/more impervious coverage require larger percentage...

the Rational Method (for sites/watersheds up to several hundred acres) is:

q=CiA
will provide the runoff volume in cubic feet per second, which can be converted to total runoff by multiplying by storm length in seconds

C=runoff coefficient
i=rain intensity in inches/hour of design storm
A=site area in acres
1 acre = 43,560 square feet

Other factors in sizing a pond is the duration of storage - typically 72 hours is used, amount of acceptable bounce, and topography.

the same 5-10% will cover other BMPs including rain gardens, treatment wetlands, infiltration basins (depends on soil), et cetera...

May 10, 10 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Thanks Barry. Exactly what I needed. Thanks.

I plugged in my numbers to this site for approx. 10 acres of runoff area on a 27 acre site. The calculator put me at about 2.7 acres of pond which is at your 10% mark for planning. Holy shit! Didn't imagine that almost 3 acres would have to be dedicated to a retention pond. That seems huge.

www.lmnoeng.com

May 12, 10 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: