Archinect
anchor

Job Climate?!?

outthere

I was looking to get a census on the current Job climate ...my office is currently really slow (has been for months) ...with a couple of potential projects that have been on hold and "supposedly" should start soon

A couple of questions ...

1. Is your office hiring or have they hired recently??

2. Are you busier or slower than normal??

3. Any layoffs recently? (hopefully not)

I know things are probably still not the greatest ..but id like to get some first hand opinions..

thanks

May 10, 10 12:16 pm
aquapura

From what I've seen there are many firms that are searching for and hiring strategically. Seen many ads looking for principal level people with experience with gov't work. Ha ha, wishful thinking there.

Personally know of many larger firms that are looking to fill senior staff positions with people that have extrememly particular experience. Someone with 25 years experience in the right area could be doing very well right now from what I've seen.

Younger "interns" and production staff Architects are largely an inexhaustible commodity right now and any hiring is cyclical with the world load.

Work load, at least local to me, seems to have picked up from the bottom seen in 2009. Normal is a relative term. Nobody is busier than 2007-08. Many firms are busy only because they have reduced staff to meet a 2009 work load and are reluctant to hire on additional production staff just yet.

May 10, 10 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Lets see - I work as a temp in San Francisco offices - My assignment is for 3 - 4 weeks on average - doing details, and picking up redlines in Revit. What have I noticed? the projects I work on are: health care and public sector. Most of production staff is in thier 20's and 30's Also the staff at these firms I "visit" are very intelligent and very few were laid off in this downturn. It almost appears the average people were basically weeded out? dunno - There is a pattern I am picking up - Most people graduated in 2007 - 2009. If I remember my architecture history - the profession is once being re-born with new technology and new people. What does this say for people who have been out of work for 1 - 1.5 years?

May 10, 10 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: