Archinect
anchor

Architectural practice requirements in USA

yasmin

Hi all..I am moving to States for good. Havent decided where though:) I have BA, MA and PhD in architecture. Besides teaching i am thinking of being in practice.

I ll appreciate if you enlighten me on the issue of which "exams "
I should take bec i checked and found complicated and also what other must do's there is to get a licence? Do I need it when i have it from my country?

Also to involve into 'renovation projects' what extra licences or education i need? I need your advices..thanks in advance.

May 1, 10 2:18 am
ARCHCareersGuide.com

First, your best source to learn the requirements of becoming an architect in the U.S. is NCARB - National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (www.ncarb.org). They have links to the state registration boards as an individual must ultimately be licensed by U.S. jurisdiction.

They do have a program, Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect (BEFA) that is a multi-step process to assist foreign architects with experience to become licensed.

Also, individuals may have to have their foreign education evaluated by EESA - Education Evaluation Services for Architects (https://www.eesa-naab.org/) as part of the process.

Dr. Architecture
http://archcareers.blogspot.com/

May 1, 10 5:23 am  · 
 · 
yasmin

Thanks so much for your reply..The whole process seems like a long way though..

May 1, 10 7:57 am  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

It is a long process. Before leaving your home country make sure you have good documentation of your work experience. There was an article recently in the NCARB newsletter about an immigrant architect who used the BEFA program

Keep in mind also that most schools don't seem to put a lot of value in licensure per se for faculty - they will be looking at your PhD.

People do manage to practice by teaming up with a licensed architect, either in join venture/associations or in a firm setting. Just be aware of the various state regulations about what you can call yourself and your firm if you are not licensed. (see Stanley Saitowitz, for example)

And often smaller, renovation projects do not require a licensed architect if they involve no structural or life-safety modifications.

May 2, 10 1:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: