Archinect
anchor

Architect new in Los Angeles, looking for resources to build first owner-builder home?

Pondering

Hello everyone!

I am an architect-in-training, just moved to Los Angeles not to long ago and don't know anyone in the building construction industry in town.

We are looking for resources (something like UBuildIt back east) to point us to where we can hire subcontractors or even get to know some GCs to build our first home.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks much!

AT

Apr 30, 10 5:42 pm
strlt_typ

follow the taco trucks!...:D

seriously, i suggest keeping an eye out for construction sites...especially for those projects that are similar to what you want to build, and speak to someone. also, most subs, architects, and GCs, will have advertising signs at the jobsite. usually, once you get talking to one sub, they'll know others.

as far as neighborhoods where it is likely that you'll see a residential project in progress: you can try driving around mar vista, the hills south of ventura blvd, beverlywood. they're out there....just be on the look out.

your structural engineer might have some suggestions.

you'll also run into subcontractors at your local lumber yards...but, really, anywhere.

good luck...

May 1, 10 3:24 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

if you need an architect i'm here for you!

May 1, 10 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

not to be critical of your inquiry.

most architects are reluctant to offer their builders' information to a stranger. it takes many years and personal effort (work in itself) to cultivate such relations and there are a lot of personal information embedded into those relationships varying from know-how to specific ways of designing and resolving certain details.

i used to get upset when some colleagues were reluctant to introduce me to their builders but after building those relationships with my own construction people and subs, i do understand. many a times when i gave that information for asking, i have found out my contractors were only needed to supply second tier back-up bids on jobs, wasting their time coming up with difficult estimates with a five percent possibility of doing the job.

again, i am not criticizing your inquiry but giving you a hint why people might be reluctant to give that information to you.

May 1, 10 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

that seems like a strange practice to me, post depot. i can understand trying to protect the subcontractors, especially if you have built a great relationship with them...but, in the end, isn't it up to the subcontractor whether to take the time to put together an estimate for a potential job? is it because the architect has more knowledge of the "who's who of the field"?...therefore has the responsibility to filter for his subs?

again, it's strange to me because our office is very open about recommending subs.

May 1, 10 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: