Archinect
anchor

Starting a new job (for the first time) - what questions should I ask?

l3wis

Hey, so I'm graduating this summer and took a job in an office. It'll be my first time on salary and benefits, and I'm a pretty clueless person when it comes to financial planning and all of this stuff... are there any questions I should ask HR when I start about my benefits or insurance or anything? 401K/IRA stuff? What should I know before starting this job?

Also, I'm graduating with just a BSARCH - I can still record IDP, correct? (I plan to return to grad school after some years)

Also, are there any questions you suggest asking about the architecture aspect of it all? That is, questions everyone should ask about their project placement, manager, etc.?

Thanks SO much for any replies.

Apr 27, 10 2:34 pm
do2

I think you just roll with it for a few months, feel it out. That will give you time to talk to people around you...

Apr 27, 10 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

just don't piss off anyone acting like your sh*t don't stink and you should be fine. people with that attitude don't last long. and try not to be a "yes sir" type of person or you'll be that person that leaves the office last at 4am everyday.

Apr 27, 10 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

As far as the HR stuff i'd just ask all the questions you have up front. I'm assuming they'll probably have you fill out some paperwork on your first day. Its better to get the financial, insurance, paid time off, sick days type stuff squared away right off the bat. Being on good terms with HR will only be to your benefit. Wading through the nightmare of insurance etc. is so much easier if you have a good point person ie. HR.
In response to the "project placement" question you'll probably figure out your position in the office fairly quickly and figuring out other people's place in things is just a matter of being in a place for a little bit and talking to people.

Apr 27, 10 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

The HR staff will be more than happy to answer any questions after all it will make them look busy. first time in an office, only one piece of advice ask away on anything and everything, but be receptive about which people are willing to answer questions and which are not.

Apr 28, 10 3:09 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

If the firm is large enough to have an HR department, then it's fairly likely they'll also have a fairly decent new-employee orientation program. That orientation probably will overwhelm you with information -- way more than you can comfortably absorb at one setting. It'll probably take weeks, if not months, before all that material starts to make sense to you.

I would not worry too much about asking a ton of questions right away -- nobody's going to expect you to know and understand everything right out of the chute. During your first few days absorb what you can and ask those questions that come to mind. But, I don't see a great need for you to over-prepare in this regard. Just be your natural, normal, inquisitive self -- you'll be fine.

There's a pretty good article in the 14th Edition of The Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice that gives an overview of the New Employee Orientation process. If you really want to understand what might be happening on your first day, you might want to scrounge up a copy of the 14th Edition -- the article starts on p. 266.

Apr 28, 10 9:42 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

thanks everyone, i really appreciate the responses

Apr 28, 10 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: