Archinect
anchor

my search for a summer internship in NY ...yes like everybody else

shay

I'm in search of a small office that practices some sort of parametric way of designing, wether that's in their thought process or grasshopper. So obviously one that is involved in some sort of contemporary discourse.

It would be great to get some names because my search so far has been quite slim.

thank you!

Apr 27, 10 9:47 am
tuna

Gehry Technologies
HOK
Populous
Gensler

Apr 27, 10 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
nonneutral

SHoP
Reiser Umemoto
Marble Fairbanks
Asymptote
Aranda Lasch

Apr 27, 10 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
metal

POD design and media

Apr 28, 10 12:50 am  · 
 · 
shay

thanks everybody!

Apr 28, 10 3:18 am  · 
 · 
do2

And I bet your willing to work for free...... Maybe thats why I cant find a job...

The market in NYC is saturated, its better elsewhere, really!

Apr 28, 10 7:49 am  · 
 · 
shay

Well yes, I feel as though if your prepared to do an internship in new york you should know your working for free.

Apr 28, 10 7:53 am  · 
 · 
tuna

The job market in NY is interesting. They will only hire you if you are employed. Otherwise if you’re down on your luck, you’re screwed.

Apr 28, 10 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
otis151

Shay, that is by far the stupidest line of thinking I've heard in quite sometime. Working in NYC is not synonymous with working for free. Stop doing it, you're contributing to the salary erosion that is already hurting the rest of us and will hurt you too one day when you finally land a real job, not one in a sweatshop.

One more hint: an unpaid internship does not by any means guarantee a full time job one day. In fact employers will probably respect you less because they know you don't respect yourself or your education enough to ask for monetary compensation.

Apr 29, 10 12:54 am  · 
 · 
shay

It was a sarcastic remark...geez because for the most part New York is like that, like it or not. You don't need to get caught up with your statement. I will ask for payment but I also have to be prepared to hear "no", especially with the economical times. Thats all

Apr 29, 10 3:14 am  · 
 · 
aquapura
I will ask for payment but I also have to be prepared to hear "no", especially with the economical times.

If they say no, you should kindly decline and tell them that if you are working for free it will be volunteer work for a non-profit that it out to help the community, not firm owners.

Good economy or bad, the problem will not fix itself until people get a spine and refuse to work for free.

Apr 29, 10 8:51 am  · 
 · 
shay

thank you everyone for all your suggestions but I really was just looking for some names of small offices in ny.

take care

Apr 29, 10 9:08 am  · 
 · 
metal

working for free or for very little is especially true of internships in NY, especially at the firms your looking at

But any firm should be able to offer a stipend for lunch and transportation at least, which includes a monthly metro card, and $8/day for lunch.

Apr 29, 10 9:18 am  · 
 · 
halfwindsor

I have interned at one of the small offices mentioned above. I was paid a stipend that covered my lunch (and dinner), metro card, and part of my rent. I don't want you to get the impression that every small office in New York is going to ask you to work for free.

Apr 29, 10 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
smcguire

If you're willing to move, Trahan Architects in Louisiana does a lot of parametrics work and unlike New York, architecture firms down here pay their interns pretty well. It also helps the standard of living is a lot lower in Louisiana

Apr 30, 10 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
markuse

lol@ ppl w/ jobs getting mad at interns scraping for work, even if its free?

u expect us to drop out of the profession after we get our degrees w/o a fight?

the reality for many of us is work free and get experience or get out of the field.

May 1, 10 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
pdigi

I took an internship that paid a monthly stipend in the city. The money was only enough to cover my commute (from Jersey) lunch, and my phone bill.

That pay was also significantly less than minimum wage.

I had a part-time job to help with everything else and was working 7 days a week overall.

You can bet that didn't last too long. You can also bet I won't be doing anything like that again.

May 1, 10 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: