Archinect
anchor

Zibra Imaging 3D Printing

bye bye bayou

I first read about this on Volume's blog site a while back and though it would make an interesting thread. The printing company out of Austin named Zibra Imaging has developed this technology to print holographic images on to paper and project it like a 3D model by using a halogen bulb. This is probably better explained through Youtube then anything I can put into words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3TSQul94E

If noticed on the video, he said in person, the image actually pops out of the page like a 3D model.
And here's another video that explains how they do it. It appears REVIT is one of the primary programs they use to print the model onto the holographic paper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7BP00LuA4&feature=related

Anyway, I thought this was really cool, and I was curious to see what the archinect world thought about it. I can't say for sure if Zibra Imaging was the first to 3D imaging paper, but I have honestly never seen anything like it.

Apr 19, 10 10:30 am
BOTS

I have just seen their updated site - it's Zebra Imaging by the way and it looks amazing. We will comission this next instead of a form model especially the cut away holograph.

Cut away model

Web Site

Feb 18, 11 5:55 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

pretty nice,
looks expensive, wait i got it, ill use my tax return, no wait i got to pay the man.

Feb 18, 11 6:03 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

competitive value compared to some of the modelling / rendering prices or physical models we get third parties to do for us. not sure when you add shipping to send over to the UK though.

Feb 18, 11 6:41 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

"You're stuck in an "axon" mode, that's the only drawback. "

not any more

check it from 1min 16 sec

Feb 18, 11 10:24 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

The only problem with it is that it's read only.

A $3000 model can be readjusted, reworked and touched up if there's any significant design choices. A $3000 hologram cannot. It's kind of cheesy once you get passed the novelty factor of the whole thing.

It would be technically cheaper (reusable, adjustable) to port some sort of gaming engine or viewing program to the ipad and upload interactive 3d models to it.

Feb 18, 11 10:30 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

i think you get more hologram than solid model for your pound (buck)

Feb 18, 11 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: