Archinect
anchor

can I use someone out of the office to by my IDP supervisor?

Baroque14

I have been working in a 30 people archi office for 1.5 year, just start my IDP document. As a new guy most of the job I am working on is SD. but my supervisor in my firm is too serious about working hour catalog, he refuse to shift any of my SD time to other catalog.

His reason is people treated him like that, made him worked a lot more than required. and that is life.

can I simple shift to someone out of the firm, has license to be my supervisor?

Apr 14, 10 11:55 am
wurdan freo

I would use anyone who has a stamp and is willing to sign the paperwork for you. This is such a stupid system. Your supervisor is a tool and a prime example of why I left architecture. Maybe you have a friend who already passed the exams?

Apr 14, 10 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
outed

baroque - i've given like 4 lectures on this so here's the preference:

your idp supervisor has to be someone in your direct office that has, duh, a supervisory role of some sort. they are going to verify that you've done the work claimed on the form. (i'm sorry to hear the guy in your firm is a jerk).

your idp advisor can be anyone - in fact, the preference is for it to be someone outside your office. it just needs to be a registered architect.

now, technically your supervisor and advisor can be the same person, especially if you live in a more remote area geographically. but, you can also have an advisor that you communicate with more on line than physically.

to answer your last question, no, you can't get a supervisor outside your firm. however, you can get anyone licensed in the firm to act in that role (i'm not sure how big your firm is).

hope that helps.

Apr 14, 10 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Baroque14

thanks Wurdan and outed. I will have to talk with the jerk again, luckily the jerk is not the big boss.

Apr 14, 10 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Forge Away!

Apr 14, 10 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I have never understood the need for an IDP advisor.

Apr 14, 10 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

c.k. if you don't see the need than it makes me wonder if you had a bad experience with he or she? Obviously the supervisor is necessary to verify the claimed experience, but the advisor (btw I am familiar with this person being called "mentor") is meant to provide guidance and mentorship along the way. and it IS often better if this advisor is outside of your firm.

Furthermore, if you were unhappy with the advisor you had, you can always seek out a new one.

Apr 14, 10 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

not unhappy, I never had an advisor, just a supervisor. Just don't understand the need for the formality, that's all, we all have mentors who more or less fill this role.

Apr 14, 10 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

sounds like this guy is just a jerk
I'd speak to the big boss about it and ask to get moved to someone else or on to something else to help complete your IDP

then again, just because you have been working for a couple of years doesnt mean you should be able to sign off on all your hours if all you have done is SD. Have you spoken up about this prior to now?

I understand not all of your hours being shifted, since you say yourself all you have been doing is SD. But there are elements of SD that can be moved around reasonably, and still count.

Apr 14, 10 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

second Wudan's opinion of IDP - this is exactly why it's a bad idea.

Apr 15, 10 12:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: