Archinect
anchor

e-EVR supervisor issues

schneider.360

I want to get someone's opinion on what steps I should with the situation I seem to be in. I worked at a firm a few years back, in like 2006 for a year. I kept track of all my IDP units using the spreadsheets they used to have to download but I never officially registered them with NCARB. I worked at another for about 16 months before getting laid off. Right after getting laid off I decided to get serious about getting registered and everything so I finally signed up for IDP and recorded all my hours.

My second employer had no problem approving my hours even after I didn't work there. The first place however, I have not been able to get them to approve the hours. I have talked to them and it's not a case of them not remembering me or being unsure of what I actually did. It is really just a case of laziness. My supervisor just won't sign up for the IDP supervisor account and sign off on the hours. It was been since October of 2008. I email him at least once a month trying to remind him and he never responds. I talked to him a few months back and he said he has received all my emails and just hasn't had time. I spoke with his boss last month and he said he would try to get my supervisor to do it but nothing has happened.

Ok, so I'm not looking for advice on how to better get a hold of him. I'm more wondering if there is any kind of action I can take with NCARB. Can I report him? Is there any other way I can more forcefully make him approve my hours?

Apr 13, 10 10:35 am
EdgewoodAnimal

This probably falls in the 'how to better get a hold of him' catagorey, but have you tried using the 'submission on paper' selection on e-EVR, printing out your report, taking it over to your old office, and having your supervisor sign it in front of you?

It might be harder for him to tell you 'no' to your face.

Apr 13, 10 11:30 am  · 
 · 
paranoid

Ugh, took me 8 months to get my previous supervisor to approve time through the online system. Why? Because he doesn't use a computer. In the past, I could fill out the paper form and stand in front of him until he signed it. Finally the office manager took care of it (I had since moved on), I wouldn't be surprised if my supervisor didn't even look at the hours he was 'approving.'

Just more motivation to get through idp and the exams as swiftly as possible. Can you stop by the office and bug them in person? Could someone else from the office act as your official supervisor instead?

Apr 13, 10 11:34 am  · 
 · 
schneider.360

With the e-EVR it was my understanding that they did away with all paper submittals. If I'm wrong, can you send me a link? I'm not seeing it online.

Apr 13, 10 11:34 am  · 
 · 
syp

Go to the supervisor and say about 6-month rule so he have to approve your IDP before coming July 1st.

He might not know about 6-month rule.
So, tell him clearly that If he doesn't take care of your IDF before that date, you won't be able to use those units because of his laziness.

Apr 13, 10 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
metal

I had this same problem, the kind of supervisors that take forever to sign are the ones that are scared of computers and still print out all their emails.

Apr 13, 10 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

You can just do the paper version. Fill everything you can out for him and use one of those sticky arrow post-it things for where he needs to sign and put his numbers in......Slap that bitch down on his desk and say "Look here you lazy SOB. Put you Jonh Hancock next to the little arrow and I'll give you a smiley face sticker on your pit stained button down so everyone can see how special you are and If you want to add a few hundred units I'll buy you a lap dance at the booby bar."

It worked for me.

Apr 14, 10 12:37 am  · 
 · 
atsama

i had the same problem. and this was with the supervisor IN MY OFFICE WHO SITS 50 FT FROM ME. i just resorted to being annoying - i would stop by his office every week to remind him, and then I used the six-month rule as a guilt-trip...and then it finally worked, after months and months of pestering.

Apr 14, 10 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

i had the same problem, except that my former supervisor was clearly refusing to do it to get back at me for some perceived slight. i contacted ncarb, and they said thare was nothing they could do to make her sign off. what i recommend is that you find someone else at the office to sign for you. you can change the name of your supervisor in e-evr. just ask nicely and make sure they were in fact licensed during your time of employment (in my case it was a colleague who worked on the same projects and remembers my work there, but was not my actual supervisor).
and yes, it totally sucks when you try to do something correctly but get shafted. actually, the whole process just sucks.

Apr 14, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

i had the same problem, except that my former supervisor was clearly refusing to do it to get back at me for some perceived slight. i contacted ncarb, and they said thare was nothing they could do to make her sign off. what i recommend is that you find someone else at the office to sign for you. you can change the name of your supervisor in e-evr. just ask nicely and make sure they were in fact licensed during your time of employment (in my case it was a colleague who worked on the same projects and remembers my work there, but was not my actual supervisor).
and yes, it totally sucks when you try to do something correctly but get shafted. actually, the whole process just sucks.

Apr 14, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Hey ya'll - go to the e-EVR website for the skinny on this issue. BT}W, if YOU have made your submission by e-EVR, then you are OK for July1 - see below:

[/i]"Once interns have submitted their training hours by entering them into their Record online, those hours are protected from the Six-Month Rule reporting requirements while any loose ends are tied up. Interns will not be affected by any delay caused by their supervisor or NCARB. However, submitted training hours can be lost if they are deemed invalid by their supervisor, or if they are not earned in accordance with the rules of the IDP."[/i]

Here's the webpage: http://www.ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/Maintaining-Participation/Six-Month-Rule.aspx

Still, those supervisors need to help you out. Chances are that they never had to go through this krap like us, though.

Jun 27, 10 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: