Archinect
anchor

Working in Sydney, Australia

agent99

Does anyone have any experience (as a North American) working in Sydney? I'd be interested in a one-year, fixed-term contract there, an exchange (I'm currently employed, intern, 5 yrs of experience) or just doing odd drafting jobs and competitions. I'm planning on sending off portfolios to the firms I'd like to work for, and I'll go from there; but if anyone has any experience or tips, or knows of any programs (I'm over 30), it would be appreciated. - Thanks.

Nov 1, 04 7:45 pm
Ceee

i live and work in sydney. it may all depend on your visa situation when you arrive. i've only worked for small firms, and i bought my own visa (expensive). you may need an employment agency (or recruiment agency) which will take a chunk out of your salary. with 5 years of experience, i'd imagine you'd be a hot item. i'd need to know the firms you're interested in and your visa situation to really be of help. good luck. by the way, check out <www.butterpaper.com> and <www.raia.com.au> for more info on firms and links to their websites, as well as current events regarding the built environment.

May 25, 05 6:48 am  · 
 · 
lhooq

Thank you so much for that information! I actually don't have a visa at all, was hoping to get an offer of employment and then have them sponsor me. I didn't know that one could buy their own visa (!). I've been looking seriously at agencies, but they all seem to say that you already need a visa or don't bother applying. I was planning on coming for a short visit (one month or so) interview, get a sense of the firms I'd like to work for, and then hope one of them would sponsor me. I can't imagine why they wouldn't; I have a lot of experience both within architecture and in other fields. As for what firms I'd work for, I think it would be best to continue in email, if that's acceptable to you. My address is [email protected] Would very much appreciate hearing from you.

May 28, 05 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
lhooq

ps, not sure why it gave me a different moniker this time (?) but it did; we're the same person.<s>

May 28, 05 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Jo

Ihooq,
Any luck getting work in Australia yet? I am in a situation similar to yours, tried applying for work through employment agencies but they have all insisted I have a work permit before I apply. I dont know how that works? I have a work experience of 4+ years and was hoping I land a job and then apply for visa.

Jun 24, 05 3:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: