Archinect
anchor

it's that pritzker time of year again....

TIQM

I find Holl's Linked Hybrid to be inhuman. If that's the future of cities, God help us all.

Mar 30, 10 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

EKE, have you been there, or judging from pictures?

I haven't been there, but the pictures and thought behind it are exciting to me. I may find it not to my liking if I visit it, but I'm pretty confident in my tastes.

Mar 30, 10 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Holl is fascinating and I knew little of his career until I read some of these posts. I remember seeing him speak at Neocon in 1990 or 1992? Does anyone remember when it was?

He showed these watercolors of a project in Japan. It was great fun. I knew of him a little but I thought he was much more established that he was.

Holl will get the Pritzker in time.

Mar 30, 10 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Just pictures, Donna. Never been there.

But I see in the pictures a series of buildings that is all about creating heroic objects, with no human scale, no interest in how the buildings relate to the ground plane, no interest in local context, or the romance or distinctiveness of the local culture. Those buildings seem like they could have just as easily been on the outskirts of Paris, or in Houston, or frankly, anywhere. Humans channeled from mega-structure to mega-structure in conduit sky bridges, hundreds of feet in the air. It's very strange to me, and kind of scary. I just don't see that as humanistc urbanism. It's like some city designed by an alien culture.

Just my opinion. I know lots of people like Holl's work, and I like many of his buildings. I think he's much better working at a smaller scale.

Mar 31, 10 1:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: