Archinect
anchor

DPD F***ing sucks

cadcroupier

Second to the economy, I'm convinced that building departments are single handedly putting small design firms out of business.

share your DPD or other building department horror stories here.

cc

Mar 26, 10 3:40 am
Distant Unicorn

Ha Ha, compliance!

Mar 26, 10 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

cadcroupier, i am interested in hearing your specific story. in my experience, i've had generally good experience with building departments. there were some road bumps but definately nothing to get worked up about.

in my opinion, it makes sense to try and understand their position (and any other state agency that you have to work with over time- SHPO, energy boards, design review, planning committees, specific zoning commmittees, etc.) because you as a professional have to work with them on other future projects. the client may think the building department is being absurd and a hard ass, but in the end, they will probably only have this single project whereas you will have many. i think they do a fine job of interpreting the codes and finding an amicable solution. that's not to say i don't try and push the interpetation when i can. keep in mind they can only work with the written code. most jurisdictions have an appeal process if you think their interpretation is off.

Apr 1, 10 10:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: