Archinect
anchor

Fumes from Modelmaking at work?

ryoroo

Hey, I work at a European firm where we make a lot of models. I generally wear a mask when spraypainting, but not when gluing, though the gluing takes place is an open area that is seemingly well-ventilated.

Ever since I got here a month ago, but especially in the last week, I've had this constant bad physical feeling, kind of like I'm constantly drunk - uncoordinated, blurry/spotty vision, tired, don't really want to do anything, headaches. I'm still functioning reasonably well at work but these symptoms have gone from existing only for a few hours a day while I was at work to pretty much 24/7.

I'm suspicious that the fumes from the glues and from other people spraying are causing me to feel like this. But the place seems well-ventilated, and nobody else is complaining about it. Maybe it's all hypochondria and I'm just stressed out in general?

Is there any way to test whether it's hypochondria or something real that needs to be addressed? What sort of symptoms can mild overexposure to glues and paints give and will they go away? Or am I causing myself permanent damage? It would be really sad/frightening if it were permanent damange, cuz I really haven't been more than normal amounts of the glues.

Thanks!
Ryo.

Mar 24, 10 3:53 am
kungapa

If it is a western European country, typically the laws regarding the workplace environment are very strict. Some countries - the Netherlands as well as the Scandinavian countries - have employees specially appointed to look after the physical and psychological work environment. You could raise the issue - anonymously - with them.

From your previous threads, I suspect you work in Denmark. Here is the relevant link:

http://synkron.at.dk/sw7737.asp

Mar 24, 10 4:01 am  · 
 · 
ryoroo

Hi Kung, thanks for the advice. I am in Denmark but my firm is quite small so I don't think we have such a person on staff. It's only architects here -maybe one of the architects handles this stuff?

If these fumes were actually causing serious problems, wouldn't I have more serious symptoms like fainting or vomiting?

Mar 24, 10 4:25 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

No idea about the problems.

Yes, the person is not dedicated to handling such issues - it is a regular employee with other tasks that ALSO take care of such thing. Typically you should have been told who it is when you start.

Mar 24, 10 4:51 am  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Fumes from glue, spray paint etc, are very dangerous to breathe, it's not safe for nobody, but I think you have a sensibility for it or more exposure then others. I would seriously discuss a way with your work folks about installing some potent exhausts, ventilate that room and make sure that the access door to the other areas of the office is well closed.

Mar 24, 10 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: