Archinect
anchor

Should I add stop gap jobs to my resume?

Paradox

I graduated 2 months ago from college and It's been almost a year since I worked at a place related to architecture, during that I had a couple of stop gap jobs (about 2-3) meaning kind of jobs I was overqualified for (ex. retail,restaurant) but still got to pay the bills.

So my question is should I include those jobs in my resume? Because if I eliminate them then there will be a huge gap in my resume and I'm unemployed right now. My other concern is none of these jobs lasted more than a couple of months so I don't want to give the impression I'm changing jobs like changing underwear. I couldn't stay at those jobs for too long because they didn't suit my personality and I was kind of in a bad mood because I couldn't find a job in my field.

Mar 23, 10 3:43 pm
LeanGreen2

I've heard that people are more understanding about gaps in job history in this particular economic period, but I'm not in HR. Some people also say that employers would like to see that you did something other than sit on your butt all day (even though you probably spent most of that time at the computer looking for work). Since you were in school until 2 months ago, I think that it is perfectly reasonable that you hadn't been working.
While you continue to job hunt, try volunteering somewhere relevant to your intended field, or take a class. That way you'll be able to say you kept busy and maybe network a bit in the process.

Mar 23, 10 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Fine to include other jobs, just use two categories:

1) Professional employment/experience

2) Other employment/experience

Mar 23, 10 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: