Archinect
anchor

Your ARE and LARE One Stop Shop - V.2

ninefournine

This thread is for assistance in taking the ARE and the LARE and is meant to piggyback on the success of the last version. I'm interested in a more timely discussion now that the ARE exams have transitioned to 4.0 and the landscape of study material has changed accordingly. Also, I'd be curious to hear who else is testing right now and in what order.

The inspiration for this thread is here:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=51965_300_42_0

I have completed IDP, received my authorization to test from the California Architects Board and just yesterday received a letter from Prometric with my testing ID so I'm excited to get going.

I'm in the process of procuring study material and wondering what material people have had success with in the past and what methods they've used to obtain it. Looking through the marketplace on ARE forums seems like a time-waster, anything worthwhile sells quickly. eBay is pretty dry in general. Are we destined to purchase the material brand new?

Mar 23, 10 11:56 am
tenn

ARE Forum is a life saver. I took version 3.1 and the site was a game-changer in terms of the graphic sections. http://www.areforum.org/

Mar 23, 10 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'm also starting the ARE process. A few friends who have already started recommended taking the Schematic Design exam first as it is all graphic and also starts getting you used to using the weird NCARB drafting software.

Of the exams, Construction Documents and Programming- are the 2 most broad and cover topics that will also appear on the other exams. Which means either you take them early so that when the 'other' exams come along you are already a step ahead studying OR you take them last. I've also heard it's a good idea to alternate the more graphic exams with the more question based ones (just for sanity of studying).

Check with your local AIA chapter to see if they have the ARE study guides, either by Kaplan or whoever else makes them, and see if they are available for loan/check-out.

Mar 23, 10 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
ninefournine

FYI, the Kaplan and Ballast materials can usually be purchased through a link on your local AIA chapter's website. Kaplan material is 20% off and Ballast is 15% off.

The material on the areforum FTP site is an easy way to quickly get started with your reading/studying for free. I would definitely recommend checking it out.
http://www.areforum.org/up/

Because of the general nature of CDs and Pre-design, I'm leaning towards taking them towards the end in order to have the information fresh for the CSE.

Mar 24, 10 1:22 am  · 
 · 
besancon

Does anyone know of good sources for studying the LARE?

I have an architecture background and took the ARE exams and what I found helpful in passing them were the Ballast / Kaplan books, flash cards, mock exams, ARE Forum, et cetera. Are there any equivilents for LARE that anyone knows about?

Apr 2, 10 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: