Archinect
anchor

LEED IEQ cr 8.1

curtkram

Anyone ever get or try for IEQ cr 8.1 daylight for LEED v3 CI? It seems you have to get a ratio between 0.15-0.18, which is really tight as far as I can tell, especially for an existing building. Any reason they are limiting the amount of daylight into a room, or am I missing something?

Mar 17, 10 7:24 pm
mces

Because it will cause discomfort glare, although there are disagreement among daylight experts regarding the formula that usgbc adopted.
Same as in option 1, maximum allowed fc is only 500 fc.
I always prefer computer simulation approach.

Mar 17, 10 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I don't think I have access to a simulator. Can this credit be achieved with mini blinds or a mechoshade that has a low VLT, so there would be a large range for their ratio depending on how far open or closed they are, which would at some point meet their requirements? If not, would mechoshades be ignored for this point and in order to meet the requirements would film have to be applied to the existing windows?

The prescriptive option seems it would best since we can define what's required and get bids at the start of the project, knowing we'll likely achieve the point, rather than waiting for the measurements at the end and just sort of hoping we get lucky. Also, compliance through measurement seems to not consider time of day, time of year, or weather (or do you assume option 3 has the same guidelines as option 1?), all of which could contribute substantially.

Apr 8, 10 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
mces

You might check daysim which is free.

I don't think you can. Mini blind might be required to comply the credit to fulfill the glare control requirement, but it won't affect VLT. If you can comply by putting coating/film, I would suggest you do that. The film might assist you to increase energy performance as well.

As far as I know there is no requirement except size of the grid for v3 while v2.2 has specific guideline to measure. However i believe you should avoid direct light during measurement. The worst case, you might use combination of two options such as calculation + simulation or calculation + measurement.

Apr 12, 10 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: