Archinect
anchor

Phoenix + Detroit/Windsor job markets?

OneLostArchitect

So upon graduating this year with my masters I will be living in Phoenix for a year, and trying to find a firm to work at. I have 1 year of IDP under my belt, and I'd like to wrap that up ASAP, and possibly get my licensure in 2-3 years post graduation. After that first year of graduation... I have the opportunity to move to Detroit/Windsor area, or stay within Phoenix. Problem is, both job markets are pretty bleak. I want to get my licensure. If I find a job here in Phoenix, work on getting my license, what are the possibilities / risks of me moving to Detroit/Windsor, and continuing that goal of licensure? If anyone that lives in either city, or have lived in both has any suggestions I'd appreciate?

Mar 17, 10 3:36 pm
marlowe

Phoenix or anywhere in the sunbelt. Moving to the midwest (sans Chicago) is a career suicide if your in architecture.

Mar 17, 10 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

Phoenix or anywhere in the sunbelt. Moving to the midwest (sans Chicago) is a career suicide if your in architecture.

Mar 17, 10 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

detroit is weak right now, but there have been a number of positive signs in the last month of two that things may finally be improving. the problem is that there is such a huge glut of laid off architects looking for work that you will have a lot of competition for openings. interesting thing about detroit though is that much of the talent at the local universities leaves the state and very few architects are moving to michigan or the midwest. so if you have talent, you've got a shot finding work because the talent pool is a lot shallower here than it would be in new york or l.a. there's definitely an interest in bringing in new talent. it's risky moving here, but if you know how to play the local job market, i think you have a chance, and once you get embedded here, it's very easy to network and make a niche for your own interests and practice.

Mar 17, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

considering the Phoenix firms are still pillaging New Mexico for work, I can't imagine the job market there to be really booming. But then again, nowhere is.

Mar 17, 10 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

So an update... will be relocating soon... is it humanly impossible to find some work in Detroit / Windsor regions? I find that its a tough market if you don't know anyone. Was jumping around in Windsor, doing cold walk in's on architecture firms, but the fact that I am only a U.S. citizen probably is scaring them away from even thinking of me. I have a great portfolio, and almost done with my IDP. Currently I am working on my Canadian residency but that will take some time to accomplish. In the mean time, if all else fails, I can study for the exams, and start cranking on those... but I don't want to be unemployed for 2+ years... Anyone know of anything, or any advice? Would not mind working in Detroit... actually I'd prefer it, but it seems like there isn't even a heart beat going there. Phoenix is out of the question. 

Sep 20, 11 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I would get in touch with AIA Detroit about networking opportunities. There is actually quite a lot of work coming online here, primarily in medical and other institutional, particularly within the city. I really believe that once lending opens up a bit, there is a major backlog of projects here that will start to move. Most firms are currently at a sustainable level of employment (if not under-capacity). Without singling any firms out, I would look at all of the major firms in the area (as well as some of the smaller ones specializing in adaptive reuse and TI). I don't mean to get your hopes up, but particularly if you have a solid portfolio, I don't think it's as bleak as you may think.

Sep 20, 11 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: