Archinect
anchor

In which order.....

designBandit

do you put all those initials and qualifications after your name?

RA (if your'e not AIA)
LEED AP
NCARB
AIA

just curious

Mar 16, 10 1:10 pm
marmkid

I think its AIA, LEED AP
or RA, LEED AP

depending which you are

I am neither though, so i am just going off of memory on what i have seen from other email signatures

I dont know about NCARB. What is that qualification for really?

Mar 16, 10 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

Good point....Its greatest use is for easier reciprocity, but its not really saying you're more qualified than being RA....I've seen some people use it though, and I've been putting it back there to keep LEED and RA company. Good things come in threes?

Mar 16, 10 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

1. Chronologically, beginning w/ oldest credential.
2. Reverse-chronologically, beginning w/ most recent credential.
3. Level of accomplishment, beginning w/ credential you're most proud of (subjective, of course).

In the end, it probably doesn't matter much, as long as they're on there somewhere.

-Citizen, PhD, AIA, LEED AP

Mar 16, 10 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

i dont know if i would include both AIA and RA
Seems a bit redundant

if you are allowed to use AIA in your credentials, that means you are a RA, correct?

Mar 16, 10 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

Right marm, if you're AIA no need to put RA... I'm not AIA

Citizen I like your number 3 the best, then there's a number 4:

Whatever looks best.

I think RA, LEED AP, NCARB looks better than RA, NCARB, LEED AP

this is the definition of procrastination and it has to stop.

God help me.

Mar 16, 10 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

can you tell me what the NCARB one is for? or what it signifies?

Mar 16, 10 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit
http://www.ncarb.org/en/Certification-and-Reciprocity/Certification-Overview.aspx

If you have at least one state license you can get NCARB certified, which is a requirement in almost every state for reciprocal licensure. In some states and for some projects (i.e. single family) its all you need to practice in that state, meaning you don't have to get a separate license in that state. That's the main reason anyone ever gets NCARB certification. Taking on an out of state project without a license in that state could cost you a lot of money in fines.

Mar 16, 10 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

ah ok, i see. Thanks for explaining, I was never really sure what it was and havent really worked with anyone who had that

I was going to say if it is not something useful to your actual work, i wouldnt use it just because you can. But it sounds like it is useful for you, so that is good

Mar 16, 10 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I'm a RA and LEED AP but only use the LEED AP behind my name, and I question that sometimes too.

Issue is that most of the work I do is out of state and I'm not allowed to say I'm a Registered Architect when representing myself in those states. Besides, most people don't have a clue what RA means.

Guess if I joined the AIA I could have that after my name, but since my employer gives very little for the dues it's money I don't have.

Mar 17, 10 10:26 am  · 
 · 
2step

I've never put anything behind my name, for some reason I always find it pretentious when I'm handed a business card with a string of acronyms behind the name. Some of the most successful and powerful business people I've met have simple cards with only their name - thats all they need.

Mar 17, 10 10:39 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i kinda refuse to throw LEED AP on my sig/business card. it's kind of a given that i'm into the green thing anyway. now if i ever get my passivhaus consultant, that might be different.

Mar 17, 10 11:29 am  · 
 · 
montagneux

Can't you join the AIA if you're not an architect?

Mar 17, 10 11:33 am  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

I don't think that being AIA is synonymous with being a RA. A few of the partners at my office aren't licensed so they have AIA on their signature.

Mar 17, 10 11:42 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

"I don't think that being AIA is synonymous with being a RA."

my experience is that the general public does indeed equate AIA with licensure.

that said, i'm usually suspicious of people who pile on acronyms behind their name - i sometimes think they're trying to be all things to all people.

Mar 17, 10 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

I agree with Aqua and jeffe on the RA/AIA thing, but the only way to have AIA after your name and not be licensed is if its Associate AIA, lots of consultants get that....

2step you make a good point. I think there's work to get to that position where all you have is your name. But you never know who is looking for what, and if you earned the right to have the title, why not use it?

Funny nobody has brought this up yet, but has anyone noticed how some people put their degrees (b.arch,m.arch) after their names? I think its kind of silly. I think they were from canada.....

Mar 17, 10 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Yeah funny thing is... not all AIA members are registered... There are non-architect honorary AIA members, and associate members, etc...

In my mind, RA means licensure, AIA is just membership in the association... Although the way things have happened, AIA has come to be misinterpreted by most people to mean licensure...

I mean, engineers put John Doe, PE, never John Doe, ASME or John Doe, ASCE...

Mar 17, 10 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

there was a lengthy discussion about this here:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=85826_0_42_0

Mar 17, 10 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Geertrude

AIA is not a Qualification, it is a membership.
RA is a Qualification.
RA Precludes using NCARB and / or AIA......
Architects should exhibit such efficiency.

Mar 17, 10 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
druf

I saw a business card once that said

John Q. Public, IM, DA, SHT

This was not a joke, it was the guy's serious business card

Mar 17, 10 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

I think though to put AIA after your name, you have to be a registered architect

Otherwise, as someone mentioned, you have to put Associate AIA

Obviously, when i say "have to" I am only talking about their rules, so some might just do whatever they want

Mar 18, 10 12:01 am  · 
 · 
bRink

you can be a registered architect and not a member of the AIA if you choose not to subscribe to the membership.

and there are AIA members who are not registered architects.

Mar 18, 10 2:15 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

I meant to officially use the letters AIA after your name, I am pretty sure you need to be a registered architect

Of course you dont need to join the AIA when you get your license

But I cant, for example, put this as my email signature or name on business card:
"marmkid, AIA"
unless I am a registered architect

Otherwise it would be:
"marmkid, Associate AIA"

Or whatever other titles they have

Mar 18, 10 9:01 am  · 
 · 
outed

marmkid - you're correct. you'd have to be registered and a member of aia to use 'AIA'.

we've talked about this back and forth here... i'm actually a member of aia but i'm going to drop the 'AIA' designation the next time i do b-cards, in favor of 'RA' for exactly the reason geertrude elaborated:

RA is a qualification
AIA is elective membership.

so is LEED for that matter, but, seriously, do you ever see a doctor's card that says: 'john doe, md, ama'? of course not. the md covers it all. so should the 'RA'.

just my opinion.

Mar 18, 10 9:34 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

I have never really given it much thought

I havent seen anyone just use RA, but then again maybe it is just typical where i work to use AIA

In my office anyway, anyone with a license uses AIA, not RA

I think in large part due to who some of our clients are, certain developers and associations with the AIA I guess

I agree that RA covers it all, and AIA is not really needed. It's really a matter of personal or professional preference.

I have heard all the issues with the AIA in general, and understand why some would not want to be affiliated with them. I dont particularly agree that they are as bad as some think, I think they are more a scapegoat or an excuse, but whatever, I dont disagree with anyone not wanting to use that. I have 5 more tests to pass before I make that decision anyway

Mar 18, 10 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

When I become registered (hopefully before this year's end), I am just going to have "Architect".

That is all.

Mar 18, 10 10:25 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Adding acronym "brands" (which is what they are) after my name is useful only when I'm trying to establish very quickly my qualifications --when I don't have the opportunity to hand over a CV or verbally qualify myself to someone.

This is so someone who might hire or refer me can know in an instant some of my basic qualifications. So, on business cards or (sometimes) my email signature, I include my credentials.

In other settings, where there's time/opportunity to explain myself better, those "brands" are unnecessary, in my opinion.

Mar 18, 10 11:43 am  · 
 · 
citizen

As for the "RA/ AIA/ Architect" designation: Outed is correct above.

But, again, in the "branding" theme: most people outside our profession don't know what "RA" means, and so it may not have as much value to a potential client or employer --those to whom we're presenting ourselves for possible work.

For better or worse, "AIA" is much better recognized (even by people who don't know what it really means). In my mind, there's nothing worse than working very hard for a credential (as we all do), and then having to explain it to someone.

Mar 18, 10 11:51 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

and be ready for the question of why you are not part of the AIA once you explain why your credentials are just RA and not AIA

Because if the answer is some of the rants we have seen on this forum, chances are you will turn off your potential client, for what will seem (to them maybe) as a petty reason

Mar 18, 10 11:57 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Yeah, marmkid, you are absolutely right, that's the way things *are*... I guess it's just that that's maybe not the way things *should be*...

It essentially forces people to join the AIA and pay annual dues just for a title (even if they are not actively involved in the AIA)... In my mind, once you have achieved registration and can practice architecture, you are an architect. I'm not sure what *qualification* AIA adds... It's more of a *membership*... But unfortunately, it has come to be perceived as a qualification which means that architects are forced to maintain dues in order to maintain their qualifying title... Doesn't make much sense to me... It's not a rant, it's just logical IMHO...

I'm not really speaking for myself, I don't know what I'll do if I am registered, maybe I'd join the AIA, maybe not... But if I didn't, it doesn't in any way reduce my qualification....

It's funny, NCARB actually does mean more than AIA. It means that you are maintaining your registration with NCARB- that you *are* a licensed architect, but also that you are able to transfer your registration from State to State... AIA on the other hand doesn't necessarily mean you are a licensed architect. I am not just referring to the "associate AIA" members (pre-licensed members), I mean "honorary aia" membership: the AIA awards honorary AIA titles to people who are not registered, see here:
http://www.aiaseattle.org/archive_honors_aiaseattlehonmemb.htm

If the AIA can just give away membership to people who are not otherwise eligible for AIA membership, then it really eliminates the qualification aspect of that title... Not saying that the honorary members aren't exceptional professionals, and don't deserve it, I'm just pointing out that AIA doesn't mean you are an architect.

Mar 18, 10 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I suppose the honorary AIA's would put "Hon. AIA"? and associate AIA's would put "Assoc. AIA"? But I guess the point is... It's diluting the credential...

Mar 18, 10 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

that wouldnt be the kind of rant i was referring to bRink, that actually wasnt a rant at all.

I am referring to calling the AIA, Big Brother, or the downfall of architecture as a profession, or blaming them for architect's low salaries, or whatever other problems some architects dont like to take responsibility for and put all the blame on others (the tops being NCARB and the AIA)

I am technically an Associate AIA member, as my company paid for the membership. I dont include that in anything though, as i dont see it adding anything at all. All it says is that i paid a membership fee

Mar 18, 10 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

if you're honorary, it means you've done something very special in your career to earn that, and you probably don't need any credentials after your name to prove you're the man (or woman)...

Mar 18, 10 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Geertrude
Alphabetically

would be the most appropriate order:

AIA
Member of the American Institute of Architects. Also see FAIA.

ALA
Member of the Association of Licensed Architects

ASHRAE
Member of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers

ASID
Member of the American Society of Interior Designers

ASLA
Member of the American Society of Landscape Architects

CBO
Certified Building Official. A CBO is a municipal building code enforcement official who has passed certification exams. Some parts of the United States require that code enforcement officials

CCCA
Certified Construction Contract Administrator. To be certified, the construction professional must have passed CSI (Construction Specification Institute) tests to demonstrate ability in administering all phases of construction contracts.

CCM
Certified Construction Manager. This person has education and work experience that meets the criteria of Construction Manager Association of America.

CCS
Certified Construction Specifier. To be certified, the construction professional must pass examinations offered by the Construction Specification Institute (CSI).

CIPE
Certified in Plumbing Engineering

CPBD
Certified Professional Building Designer. Professional building designers , also known as home designers, specialize in designing single family homes, light frame buildings, and decorative facades. The CPBD title means that the designer has completed training courses, practiced building design for at least six years, and passed a rigorous certification exam. A CPBD is not necessarily a licensed architect. However, a CPBD is usually qualified to design an uncomplicated, traditional home.

CSI
Member of the Construction Specification Institute

EIT
Engineer in Training. Graduates of engineering programs who have passed licensing exams but do not yet have the required four years experience to be a licensed Professional Engineer. In New York, EITs are commonly called Intern Engineers ." In Florida they are called Engineer Interns.

FAIA
Fellow of the American Institute of Architects. This is a highly regarded honorary title granted to only a small percentage of AIA member architects.

IALD
Member of the International Association of Lighting Designers

IIDA
Member of the International Interior Design Association

LEED
Leadership in Energy and Environment Design. This title indicates that a project or a design professional meets standards established by members of the US Green Building Council. Accredited LEED architects have passed examinations that demonstrate their understanding of "green" (environmentally friendly) building practices and concepts.

NCARB
Certified by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards. To be certified, a registered architect must meet rigorous standards for education, training, testing, and ethics. Not all licensed architects are NCARB certified.

NCCE
Member of the National Council of Engineering Examiners

NCIDQ
National Council for Interior Design Qualification

NFPA
Member of the National Fire Protection Association

NSPE
Member of the National Society of Professional Engineers

RA
Registered Architect. This architect has completed an internship and passed the Architect Registration Examinations (ARE). These challenging exams are offered by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) and are generally necessary for architectural licensing in the United States and Canada.

PE
Professional Engineer. This engineer has completed the training, exams, and field work required to be fully licensed. PE certification is required for any engineer in the United States who works on projects that will affect the public.

Mar 18, 10 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

LEED AP

Mar 19, 10 1:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: