Archinect
anchor

Should architects learn more about My Little Pony?

It has already become one of the hottest new shows for grown men.

Why can't architects embrace this new cultural trend and see that friendship really is magic!?

Jun 12, 11 3:09 pm
burningman

Yes, but only after obtaining a Master of Basket Weaving followed by three years apprenticing for lunch stipends as an assistant tattoo artist, while taking night courses in advanced Horse Breeding .

Jun 12, 11 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

I have always preferred magical unicorns to My Little Pony, but this has me second guessing myself.

Jun 12, 11 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

Yes, James. I can see why you don't have a job because you think like a baby. That is what I mean if architects have everything as you said. Why don't many architects have jobs?  You should read this article http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/brady-architects-need-to-show-off-their-skills/5014185.article

It would be good for you. 

Jun 12, 11 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
Ryan002

You must be kidding.

Masters of the Universe has way more to teach an architect than My Little Pony.

Have you seen  Snake Mountain? Remember that giant snake? Now that's what I call architecture with personality. That giant snake didn't just communicate about it's owner. It was a functional staircase and a lookout point. How often do you see something so ornate and so functional at the same time?

How about Castle Grayskull? The person who designed that made a radical break from every other Gothic castle, and just decided: the front *is* a face dammit. And look at all the surveillance and computer rooms, concealed behind hidden panels. Call me old fashioned, but I still think it would be cool to have a revolving-bookcase-secret-door built into the plans.

My Little Pony is only useful if you're building a ranch in California. 

Jun 12, 11 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Snark aside, that is in interesting thought J James.

Jun 12, 11 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

This one goes out to Bronie James for having the courage to share his new passion with us!!!  May all your days be spent grazin in the grass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSdwVvBZFks

Jun 19, 11 9:23 am  · 
 · 

I'm not a "bronie." And no offense and I don't know how to say this in a way that doesn't make me sound like an asshole, that is the worst jazz I think I've ever heard. I wasn't even aware that people were still aspiring to become soft/smooth jazz musicians.

The reason I posted this was to highlight an example of what happens when you look at it two ways: marketing in this instance has failed horribly because a show that can gain viewers couldn't get sold to a network; or, sometimes a highly targeted and crafted product gets picked up by the entirely wrong crowd.

I'd like to focus on the latter because this is an example of a visual consumable, media, that maybe relevant to architecture.

Maybe people don't really know what they want? Maybe architecture doesn't have to be smart, well-thought or have any line of reasoning? If we look at it from this angle, it might be worth a try to just throw up any idea and sees if it sticks.

Jun 19, 11 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Trollish?  I intended my post to be a good natured ribbing.  Brony James -> Grazing in the Grass -> My Little Pony 

Anyway my first reaction to this post was there is something going wrong with "men" in this society.  When you think of a man is he the one who can take charge and lead you "out of the jungle" or the guy who can name all the characters to a 5 year old girls cartoon………. by pointing to the action figures on his headboard?

Jun 22, 11 9:49 am  · 
 · 
juan moment

Well, I found this video concerning MLP extremely inspirational:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6513695/my-little-pony-physics-presentation

Jun 22, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Hence

i just had a bad image of ADD "architects" watching MLP and working on code and egress req's.  Very scary, god save who ever is in that building when it goes up in flames

Jun 22, 11 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

I actually think jbushkey's ribbing was pretty clever. I will admit the genius in the connection there. But, that jazz. That jazz.

Of course, there was a level of quality and smartness that I failed to mention in my "let's do something different" argument. But I was referring to more or less in seeing-if-it-sticks was presenting something different to potential clients.

If a client wants something "with color," why do we not see many study renders using rainbows, plaid or obnoxious gradients. Why is it that "adding color" in the design world is always this formulaic color wheel main-and-three-accents approach?

The MLP question is about taste not about content.

Jun 22, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
metal

I kind of like the lets see if it sticks approach. In the business world, luck plays such a big role. 

If an architect designed 40 black metal gothic houses for Jonathan Davis, could there services then be picked up by the church of satan? timing and luck can tell.

If tacky colors are the best thing my little ponies has going for it, unless its disneyland, who wants to see what rainbow barf looks like in the serious world of progressive architecture, please no more venturi/graves..not again no..its gotta be different

Jun 22, 11 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Actually, your 40 black metal gothic houses is pretty much the point I am unable to to competently get across. What if the Cleavers and the Joneses had the option of moving into a neighborhood solely done in perpendicular gothic?

"who wants to see what rainbow barf looks like in the serious world of progressive architecture"

I think we could possibly be surprised on the general public's answer to this.

Jun 22, 11 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
metal

i just googled rainbow barf... awesome

Jun 22, 11 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Ryan002

My Little Ponies are all Trojan Horses. 

Jun 24, 11 12:36 am  · 
 · 
metal

thats a nice example. I agree it can be easy to resort to colors if the ideas behind them arent that strong, happens so much, such a fascination with surface effects

Im not crazy about the 1980s decon cubes MOS barfed up either, we dont get that mix of cheese, beer, and bread that is so typical of saturday night street vomit.

does this guy do good rainbow barf? i havent heard enough about him here
http://www.greenlaunches.com/alternative-energy/emergents-flower-street-reactor-can-make-oil-by-photosynthesis.php

Jun 24, 11 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: