Archinect
anchor

Free Design Advice

ArchStaff_CXVI

What constitutes as free design advice?

The office has this prospective new client. A flower shop business owner just moved his main office next door. Almost a year ago the owner approached the office to see if we are interested in designing a new flower shop in order to expand his business. Keep in mind that no program and proposals has been prepared or any contracts been signed. So for the next several months he justs stops by the principal's office unannounced at any time of the day and starts asking codes & zoning questions, critiques on his other flower shops, and shows designs of other shops that he likes be incorporated. Giving away all this advice he could design a flower shop by himself. Looks like the relationship has become too casual (friendly) and bordering not being taken too seriously.

So it got me thinking how much is too much in giving away design advice in hoping to land a new client? Also do you find yourself giving away advice to family, friends or in cocktail conversations?

Mar 10, 10 2:39 pm
montagneux

You profile says "architecture staff 116" while your roman numerals say 114.

Does the principal enjoy talking to this guy? That's a good question. I would say this particular instance is interesting because florists are wholly a locational-based business. So, there's a lot of good fluff work that would be there.

I don't technically do architecture being a number and graphics person myself. I don't mind giving advice to total strangers in cocktail situations or over the internet-- you know, in case I'm wrong.

But I limit myself to three hours max of free working since part of my business model involves doing the first three hours free to see if there's a viable business relationship. If there isn't, I cut myself off from the situation pretty quickly.

As long as what you are doing would be considered work by the IRS... that's when it should be free. There's lot of marketing and public relations things that should be done for free (consultations, 'volunteer work,' free work to sedate clients.)

If the principal isn't too happy about this guy, I'd walk over and demand free flowers for your office.

Mar 10, 10 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
ArchStaff_CXVI

Thank for pointing the error. Fixed it.

Our Principal do really enjoy talking to the guy but I have a feeling this person has worked for architects before and he is just trying to get as much design advice as he can since where next door, its convenient.

Our boss does a really good job in knowing when if it is a viable business relationship or to just walk away. Hard to walk away or tell the guy no when he's next door.

Mar 10, 10 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

Well, tell the boss man to tell the florist to get serious about building a new store.

If you can come up with a really good idea and you feel the idea is portfolio worthy, tell the florist you'll do the work at cost. You'll have to determine how much office space, how many hours and what not to determine what exactly that wholesale rate.

I would personally put it around for me 30-40% of actual cost.

Tell him you're giving him a break this time because it is neighborly and also you want to use the florist as an advertising tool-- a kind of look at what we did.

Because if you don't use him while he is using you (beneficial using), the relationship will eventually get ugly.

Mar 10, 10 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: