Archinect
anchor

sealant for rust patina?

escaveloci

anyone has any recommendations on what to use to permanently seal a rust patina finish?

should ideally have a matt finish

thanks

Mar 26, 14 11:05 am
x-jla

Why seal a rust finish? 

Mar 26, 14 11:10 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Can use nyalic clear.  

Mar 26, 14 11:11 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Or any matte polyurethane should work. 

Mar 26, 14 11:18 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I guess i can see why you would seal it if you live in a humid area. I'm spoiled living in the desert.  Here metal rusts very very slowly.  

Mar 26, 14 11:21 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

jia-x what desert you living in?

Mar 26, 14 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The Sonoran.  Phoenix. 

Mar 26, 14 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Rust never sleeps, man.
Mar 27, 14 1:58 am  · 
1  · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Glad you didn't Say Scottsdale....lol. I would have put you in an pink jump suit and cowboy hat  wearing boots with your pant legs tucked into the boots.  You would have your Glock hanging from your side with and extra clip or two.

Mar 27, 14 8:04 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I actually recall finding a product produced in California  which has  a matte finish.  The difficulty with applying any of these materials is you need to apply it in a shaded condition. Corten Steel tends to get really hot in the sun.  

A friend of mine uses a paste automotive wax on steel on the indoors and it does give it a nice rich, deep look, of something you must touch.

Mar 27, 14 8:10 am  · 
 · 
AhueDrist

Acrylic sealant, often used for cars, is not a bad option. It is based on a thick, liquid polymethyl methacrylate.

Nov 8, 22 8:58 am  · 
 · 
AhueDrist

Acrylic sealant easily adheres to the metal surface and has high strength but mediocre elasticity. Therefore, in the case of high loads or strong vibrations, it can peel or delaminate. Therefore, acrylic should be used only for sealing joints in stable areas of the vehicle. I have met people who use this sealant in combination with Scrooz Fasteners. It's up to each individual to decide how to do their repairs.

Nov 11, 22 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: