Archinect
anchor

Counting IDP Hours towards independent competition with Architect?

analog arch

After getting layed off from my past firm last year, I immediately started working (un-paid/free-time) with a registered architect - an older friend and past colleague/past employee from the same firm.

For 2 solid months we worked on a design competition. I learned an exceptional amount, including construction details to budgeting and cost analysis. We even worked with a licensed cost estimator.

Can I count this as an 8-week / 20-hour work experience towards IDP?!

My friend believes I should be able to do this. This is basically a free-lance / join-venture, however, there's obviously no account of hours worked. I would submit as a Level "2" experience.

Is this common or not recommended ?

Thanks for your input!

Mar 7, 10 5:46 pm

hmmm... it has been a while since i did idp, but my first thought is that this wouldn't count... you might be able to make it work if your friend would be willing to say that you were working for him... however, i seem to remember that there was a requirement for working a minimum # of hours for a minimum # of consecutive weeks for hours to count.

Mar 7, 10 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
analog arch

Yeah Effective July 2008 - Must meet following:

Full Time = 32hrs / 8 consecutive weeks

Part Time = 15hrs / 8 consecutive weeks

> I will have easily met the part-time commitment...

Mar 7, 10 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
pigeon

that is true, check the mins - i dont think 8 weeks is enough for part time. also by the fine print of ncarb you cannot count IDP hours if you are not getting paid. as long as your friend is cool with it, stretch out the hours to meet the min and get some idp out of it.

Mar 7, 10 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
analog arch

*unpaid internships are not eligible to earn training hours

Mar 7, 10 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

you were working with a registered architect. I think that should count and he should be able to sign off on the hours

I guess it depends on how strict the new system is. I finished before it started, and all a "supervisor" had to do was sign off, no other specifics were required. They didnt ask to confirm I was getting paid or anything.

I think project work under a registered architect should definitely count

Mar 8, 10 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: