Archinect
anchor

any illuminated fabric/panels out there usable as a thin signband?

spaceman spiff

am trying to find cheaper alternatives to edge-lit acrylic sheets for a signband which wraps around a building...traditional signboxes are a defnite no go due to weight...is there anything anyone could recommend i take a look at?

Mar 4, 10 10:39 pm
mantaray

3Form is great as an alternate to acrylic, but it's kind of the same thing (or at least, it needs to be detailed more or less the same way, so I'm not sure if it would help you). Can you be more specific in your inquiry? How is this being installed / mounted? What are the lighting conditions that you are aiming for? How would the signage itself work -- are we talking raised lettering, pin-mounted, or etched, or vinyl applique, or what?

Mar 5, 10 1:15 am  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

thx mantaray...

basically, this will be an illuminated coloured band about 30" in height that will wrap around the entire perimeter of a one storey commercial building to reflect the brand identity of the building's main tenant...no lettering or graphics on the actual stripe itself...

as the perimeter wall jogs in and out, this stripe will in some spots be attached to the building wall, but most of it will be carried by outriggers that project from the wall, about 3' at the largest gap...so i think you're right, the detailing would likely be very similar to acrylic...

looking at the 3form, i think i've actually used a similar resin product by a different company in the past...pretty sexy stuff with the embedded materials, but i do remember it being really pricy...maybe the regular sheets are much cheaper?

thinking there might be some version of philips lumalive (LED embedded textiles for clothing) for other uses or some other obscure material like that...

Mar 5, 10 2:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: