Archinect
anchor

Large Office vs. Small Office?: Making the transition from "project team" to "one-person architect"

bRink

A penny for your thoughts... Any words of wisdom or experiences from people who have worked in both the tiny office and the large office? Which do you prefer?

It seems as though working in large offices where you are generally always a member of a collaborative project team on large projects is a very different animal than working in a small (say 2 or 3 person firm) where each person is typically responsible for carrying the whole project - or several projects simultaneously from start to finish, managing all aspects of smaller scale project work single handedly...

Having worked only in large-mid to large sized offices, and being accustomed to working as a part of a larger team, on relatively large scale projects, I am quite confident in my broad range of skillsets, from design through production, through consultant coordination, communication to a client, etc. but in the context of a large project where it is a collaborative endeavor, where ownership and investment in the project is shared... I feel I can make a project team better, work well with others, but I've never worked on a project at a scale where I was the sole person on the project...

I am finding that as I consider the prospect of moving to a very small office, the challenge seems daunting to say the least... I have a great deal of uncertainty about what it would be like to not be a part of a team, to be thrown into a role of handling multiple projects at the same time, carrying several single project loads simultaneously, where the scale of project and the project fees, and schedule of client decision making are such that, for example, on a given week, you would never typically be able to work full time on a single project... Is working in a tiny office much more intense day to day? Does it ever get *lonely*? (maybe that's a pretty sad immature question but... I tend to enjoy working as a social activity... I don't mean *partying or socializing at work* :P, but simply the social nature of working with others...) Also I think I value the day to day experience of working with different people: multidisciplinary interactions as well... I guess you would still get that in a small office but maybe it is more external interactions? (like with consultants and contractors, clients, etc.?)

On the one hand, one of my long term goals is to be able to design my own house, be able to take on a project and carry it through on my own for a client, if in the future I decide to have my own practice. On the other hand, I really cherish the collaborative aspects of team work... The comradery that develops when you are a part of a team of hard working individuals, where you are willing to carry the project on your back, but it helps to know that you are not alone, able to rely on your teammates for their strengths and abilities, and knowing you can depend on them also, where the investment in the project is a shared collectively, and and that at the end of the day, you can also share the satisfaction of the project's success as a team, the "having built the thing together" aspect of a larger project...

As I am now looking for work, and as I talk to people working in other offices, having never worked in a small office on single-person small projects, I am a little bit uncertain about what it would be like making the transition... I am confident in my range of skillsets, and in my ability to work hard and learn, but part of me is uncertain: would I really be able to go on working for years as a sole practitioner? I wonder if I would miss working in a collaborative environment...

Also, it seems that in a smaller office, you take on a much more jack of all trades / multitasking role, but also you don't have some of the *large organization conveniences* that maybe large firm employees may take for granted... For example: project admin, IT support (you'd have to fix your computer yourself I'm guessing and resolve any and all software issues on your own), spec writers, technical leads or knowledge resources in different aspects of the work who you can go to for specific questions...

Has anybody successfully made the transition from large office / working on project teams to working as an individual practitioner or working in a very small office? What was it like? Any advice for someone looking to make this transition? Are you happy to have made that transition? Kicked the large corporate "man" to the curb, and made it on your own or as a part of a very small office? Do you ever miss working in a larger office / project team? If so, what do you miss? What were the pros and cons of working in a small office vs. working a large office? I've heard from some people that working in a small office can be free from some of the politics of a larger office, and that it's a bit more like being a part of an office "family"... Do you... how to say this... every go crazy working every day in such close proximity to the same couple people day in and day out? (Do your coworkers in a tiny office ever drive you crazy? I mean, most of our families make us pull our hair out, what would it be like to sit with one or two of the same coworkers who you might or might not click with, everyday, for years on end...)

Is it possible to have the best of both worlds? Independence, the ability to do everything on your projects, and gain that kind of *single-man show architect* (as in a small office) but also to have the comradery of working in a collaborative team environment (s in a larger office)? Sometimes I think that would be my ideal firm... not *too small*, but small enough where I could have the full responsability of projects, but where, as an office, we could develop a shared sense of comradery and work together as well...?

Also... Which is more profitable? Small office or large office?

Feb 27, 10 9:47 am
outed

i've done firms from 2 people (me and the principal, literally working in a converted attic above a garage, where he was also living with his wife) to 100+, managing quite large projects.

i'd be glad to talk offline - shoot me an email.

biggest thing i've missed, in terms of going from large back to smaller, is: the admin help; the toys (all the various gadgets that a small firm simply may not have); and the ability to focus on just 'one' thing. smaller firms not only have a ton of project responsibility but just plain office responsibility (good and bad).

we have 6 people, so we probably have the collaborative part working like you describe.

as for total 'independence'... not sure you'll ever quite have that until your name is on the door...

Feb 27, 10 10:47 am  · 
 · 
ih1542006

I am solo and love it. More freedom, more money. Yeah, I miss being able to collaborate with the employer and others in the office. But, I did that for 15 years. Now it 's just me and its a whole new experience. I can work without interuptions for days sometimes. Being in a office was stressful and I could have days where I would watch the clock. Now the days never feel long enough. I have bookkeeper come twice amonth to handle balancing the company check book. When the work load is there I have a draftsman I went to school with, help get projects out the door. Going on 7 years solo and it was the best thing I ever did, besides getting licensed

Feb 27, 10 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

don't forget too, that one of the biggest challenges of working in a larger firm, it's more difficult to effect change. there are often way too many layers and committees, and too much of the "well, that's the way we always did it" attitude.

Feb 27, 10 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

true beta but depending on firm type, that can definitely happen in small firms as well -- in a sole proprietorship you can often get "well, that's the way I WANT IT" (and my name is on the door) which can mean extreme resistance to change. It kind of depends on the firm setup and the particular personality of the principal of course.

I've only worked in small firms so I can't help the OP much -- but I can say that it seems from what the OP has described that the particular personalities matter a lot more in small firms. It definitely DOES become like a small family and in my experience you need to try to get a good sense even in the interview period of how you would fit in with the others in the firm, and with the principal(s) in terms of personality.

Feb 27, 10 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

beta,

i worked in a really small firm that was heavily micro-managed, there was no way to effect change.

which was really unfortunate.

my biggest issue with smaller firms is the time spent on admin/household duties and the lack of standards. after working in the corporate world for a bit, it's pretty easy to see standards can really go a long way in normalizing/expediting processes.

Feb 27, 10 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

funny that you both had that kind of experience, my experience in a moderately sized firm - 15 or so - was quite the opposite. i guess on a small firm, the quality control would be just as bad or more territorial. i think in a large firm - 100+ - the problems are that people are brought on less for their new ideas, and more for their ability to carry on the traditions.

probably another reason why i am not made for a large firm; your way may be a "way" but it's not the only way or the best way??

Feb 27, 10 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams
my biggest issue with smaller firms is the time spent on admin/household duties and the lack of standards. after working in the corporate world for a bit, it's pretty easy to see standards can really go a long way in normalizing/expediting processes.

i think it's valuable to work in a large office to see how they work, but then, bring that experience to a smaller sized firm. i think there must be a happy medium between the fluidity of a standardized large office and the spontaneity/nimbleness of a smaller office.

Feb 27, 10 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
msudon

@outed : was your experience going from the larger office down to small office or did you swim upstream? any tips (other than being competent and actually applying ) on moving from small to large? I crave organization and am curious.

Feb 27, 10 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
outed

msudon - first office was the 2 people. did stints at other smaller firms before/throughout grad school (all 1-3 people). worked for a 40+ firm, a 14 or so firm, and the 100+ before we opened our office.

swimming upstream or downstream really wasn't any different for me - it's about figuring out who you are, what you can contribute, and plugging into the right situation to try and make that happen best.

Feb 27, 10 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

I've worked in a 2-man firm (me being the second) and a sixty person office. I much prefer the small firm, for the following reasons:

1. You get to do everything. Conceptual design, CDs, project administration, contracts, etc.

2. You have relative autonomy. This depends on your boss but presumably he or she is so busy that they give you freedom.

3. You have authority. There's not really anyone to make the decision but you (or your boss.) This can come back to bite you, but it's a great learning experience.

4. You can make the standards. You can form the drawing conventions, the detailing, and so on. You don't have to learn some heavy-handed office standard, nor do you have a bunch of bosses telling you how to do things.

5. You learn A LOT. For all the reasons above. In a big office, you might be stuck designing stairs, or interiors, or bathrooms. In a small office, you do it all.

Now the downsides:

1. No one to blame. If the office screws up, that means you screwed up.

2. No one to make coffee, fix computers, clean your space. It's pretty much all you.

3. You might get lonely.

Mar 1, 10 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Thanks for the responses, nice discussion. Good points for both, small and large, it sounds like it really depends on the individual, what type of environment you feel most comfortable in...

Also, it seems that in a small office, it's pretty important who you work with... If there are only a few people in your firm, you are pretty much locked in, so finding the right fit is pretty key, but once you find a good fit with people you really work well with, that could be a really awesome experience.

On the other hand, one of the advantages of a large office, it's like a big city... You can move around within the office, if you don't get along with one person in your office, there's always the future possibility of moving to another studio or working in a different team later, so you're always meeting and working with different people, able to move laterally within the office...

One thought regarding working in a small office is: it seems that it would be necessary to outline long term goals for the firm, or at least a vision for what success would mean for the firm, and identify potential areas for growth for the individuals and as a collective, so that the group can work towards building up the practice together... Collectively share in the efforts to bring in work, market, or even expand the office if very successful? Otherwise it would seem that eventually individuals would need to leave, or move on to other things eventually, and the office would have a relative high level of turn over and flux? Have people found that in small offices you can develop a sense of shared ownership / investment in the firm? Because presumably (even if you aren't the person who started the firm) you do need avenues for career development within the organization? I guess the question is: for those who have worked in tiny offices is, do people generally stay there for say 10 years? Or do individuals generally move on to other offices once they hit a ceiling in growth, career wise?

As an example, I'm eager to try out working in a smaller office, but I think I tend to be a person who is more loyal and committed to a place, rather than a person who likes to move around alot... I'd hope that whereever I work, I would be able to invest in the growth of that place, and seek to grow with the firm, where our contributions are part project based, but also each project is contributing to the growth of the office as a whole, as well as individual career growth... In a larger firm, there is usually a structure to the organization in the sense that new studios can emerge, there are avenues towards career development and salary growth, and promotions, etc. and there doesn't seem to be a limit to growth as a firm (firms can even open other offices in new cities and markets etc.)... Without room for lateral movement, how does career growth happen in a small office? Are small offices generally less structured organizationally, and with a higher rate of turnover (people generally being forced to move on to other offices if they are to develop their careers, unless they stay long enough to become a principal?)

Mar 1, 10 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sheena_Ricarte

I prefer working for a small office for now, with small staff, yet the organization's function is key. In addition, I prefer the serenity and clarity provided by this arrangement.  In a nutshell, I like a small office with small staff yet that office's function is an important one. ~ Sheena Ricarte

Jun 21, 14 7:03 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

+1 to farwest.

Coming from a big corporate office, you will really find out how much you know or don't know, given your previous role on projects.  When you drop the ball, it is all on you in a small company.  

I don't understand the concern about being lonely, is it really better to have the opportunity to shoot the shit with a bunch of corporate drones you would kick in the eye (to quote the smiths)?

Jun 22, 14 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: