Archinect
anchor

solar design for retail

I know that for housing there's a general rule of thumb for how to orient a building, and where to have the greatest overhang, etc, but what are the similar considerations for retail? I'm not talking specifically for passive solar design, but more for program requirements, like minimizing shopfront glare, reducing heat gain, etc. assuming the space will not be passively heated/cooled.

any general guidelines?

Feb 22, 10 1:15 pm

same rules about orientation apply to all building types. minimize solar gain on summer afternoons and maximize it during the winter. that typically results in having a rectangle running east to west with the long side facing south (and north).

Stores often just have one facade of exposure, so try to be on the north side of the street (if you want some passive heating in the winter), or on the southside for maximum solar protection. (most shopping streets run east-west).

A few street trees outside also will help control heat gain.

Feb 22, 10 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

thanks barry, I guess I wan't too clear - i'm actually looking for ideas that may run counter to good passive solar design...

assuming that what's important to the retail client is a well-controlled interior environment (AC) year-round, and orientation to minimize heat loss/gain through the storefront windows.

natural light is not a big issue, but visibility of merch in the window display is...

(this isn't for a 'real' project, so i'm letting 'sustainability' slide)

I suppose I could make up my own rules based on hours of operation and peak shopping periods, but I'm sure this has all been sussed out in more developer-driven projects....

Feb 22, 10 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

location, street/mall presence and easy access are primary.
optimal store depth and storefront are secondary.
everything else is tertiary in my experience.

Feb 22, 10 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: