Archinect
anchor

it says it's an ad for an Architectural Intern...

charles.ellinwood

but, it sounds rather shady. MOTIVATED? well groomed? well groomed???

Architectural Intern needed for Architectural Firm with 2 offices one in LosAngeles area ( Atwater Village ) the other Signal Hill ( Long Beach ) area. Intern must be well groomed, well dressed, MOTIVATED, ambious and willing to provide a wide variety of servcies to existing Architectural staff. Job may include study model making, materials library coordination, ordering supplies, filing, marketing,taking notes, attending meetings, general office organization, and other related duties. This position requires a car as you may travel between offices. Please only the highly MOTIVATED, well dressed, well groomed apply! You must have a willingness to learn!

* Compensation: $10.00 /hour to start
* This is an internship job
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID: 1611634971

Feb 21, 10 8:31 pm
citizen
"it sounds rather shady. MOTIVATED? well groomed?"

Maybe they're tired of students coming in, wearing torn jeans and flipflops, and texting much of the day.

The gall of them.

Feb 21, 10 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Grooming? Easy! Even a caveman can do it!

Feb 21, 10 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
Feb 21, 10 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

he's not iterating OR reiterating!

Feb 21, 10 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

they just want an intern slut to bang

Feb 21, 10 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

At the very least they could have listed the firm name. After all if they demand someone well dressed and groomed I would at least like to see what the office standards are.

I wonder if they will be picky about what car you drive?

Feb 21, 10 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

where's that job listing? i could use the $10/hr !!

and what does ambious mean ?!?

Feb 22, 10 12:26 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

ambious - someone who's on sedatives?

Feb 22, 10 12:47 am  · 
 · 
Feb 22, 10 4:29 am  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

So wait, does Architectural Intern in CA mean someone with an M.Arch or B.Arch? Getting your Masters and being offered $10/hr for your first job would suck, people get paid more than that to make lattes.

Feb 22, 10 4:57 am  · 
 · 

Seems to me the poster of that ad is lacking MOTIVATION, definitely as far as checking spelling and grammar are concerned...

Feb 22, 10 6:11 am  · 
 · 

doesn't sound like there's anything sinister about it. you wouldn't believe some of the applicants we get and how non-professional they are in their presentation. this is a frustrated h.r. person hoping for better - but probably not handling in in quite the right way.

maybe they just don't want to waste people's time by making them come in, only to be rejected on sight?

Feb 22, 10 7:34 am  · 
 · 

it is better than a craiglist ad that my wife saw for a legal secretary... it was looking for someone "elegantly dressed and deferential"... having met the creepy weird guy (he always wears a white suit and red shirt like he's in the white stripes or something) that was advertising for this position, i'm pretty sure that "deferential" means "submissive"... i think that he hopes to be james spader to the applicant's maggie gyllenhall in "the secretary"...

Feb 22, 10 8:29 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

for $10/hr you aren't going to get the most professional applicants.

Feb 22, 10 9:30 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Not at that firm, but I had that same job between my third and fourth year at USC during the summer of 1990. I think I was making minimum wage.

All in all I learned more about pro practice than I did in school. It was a great intro to the "real world."

Furthermore, I was given an opportunity to sit in meetings that I would not otherwise had done as a drafting intern. Lastly, I was exposed to the marketing of the practice and still use some of the techniques to this day.

What made the salary worth it was that I was reimbursed for millage - and I drove a lot, It netted $13.00 and hour.

Feb 22, 10 9:59 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Actually - I think this is probably a fine job for a summer intern - not a recent graduate, though...

dsc - $13/hr in 1990 money is about $21/hr today.

Feb 22, 10 11:19 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

The pay definatly sucks at $10.

Having said that, nobody told you to get a huge loan for the March. It might increase your pay, right out of school, by about $2/hour though. Maybe that works out for you.

Feb 22, 10 11:27 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i saw the craigslist and and noticed there wasn't any contact information except for the craigslist anonymous email. i googled [i]"atwater", "signal hill", and "architecture". and i think i found the office...

http://www.klugerarchitects.com/profile.htm

Feb 22, 10 11:45 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

oh man i sent them my resume about a year ago and they shot me down. they've done some nice work and i would love to work for them .. what is this 'craigslist' you speak of?!?

Feb 22, 10 11:57 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i meant to say that i saw the "craigslist ad". typo

i agree, i'd work there...

Feb 22, 10 11:59 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Cool site but website was last updated December 2008.

Feb 22, 10 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I loved that movie!

Feb 22, 10 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

2008 or 1998. yikes!

Feb 22, 10 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
charles.ellinwood

it looks like they are hiring more than just well-groomed interns...

http://careercenter.aia.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=3304861&keywords=&ref=1

if you have medical architecture experience...this could be your Rushmore.

Feb 22, 10 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
aceclubs

nice work??

Feb 22, 10 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
WinstonSmith

Yikes! Is this where Wal Mart employees are required to go for their healthcare? I've seen prisons that are better examples of architecture.

Absolutely hideous...unless it is really a temple dedicated to the practice of the religion of Globalism.

Feb 22, 10 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

To be fair, it is a corporate center for a company called Styles for Less.

Feb 22, 10 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

Winston... you should look up Bentonville, Arkansas on Google Street View and look at the "Wal-Mart Corporate Campus."

The main corporate building, where the magic happens, looks like a late 1950s freight depot hellhole.

Feb 22, 10 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

hey aceclubs i said they have done SOME nice work (which they have).

definitely not high-end internationally famous competition winners but you look at their own office in signal hill, for example, and it's better than 95% of built work (maybe 99%, there's a lot of crap out there).

i'd love to work for them ..

Feb 22, 10 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

Hummm I think I'd take gargoyles and architectural columns any day over that.

At least you gain the ability to decorate facades with naked ladies and dudes.

Feb 22, 10 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

okay i'm reviewing their portfolio and it is definitely more weighted to the crap side than the good side .. i acquiesce as i was focusing mostly on the space they designed for themselves.

Feb 22, 10 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

A job is a job, and if these guys are hiring at least they know how to get work and (presumably) run a business.

$10/hr is a bit low, but the duties are such that it's tough to justify paying much more.

Feb 22, 10 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
provide a wide variety of servcies to existing Architectural staff

- architectural fluffer, brilliant!

Feb 22, 10 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

$10hr

$20,800 a year, before taxes
$16,640 a year post taxes (estimating taxes, social security, etc @20%)
$1,386 a month.

That's pretty rough in LA. I mean I know this is an internship position that doesn't require (per the job description) any Autocad, CD, computer experience) but you know that as soon as the staff learns the intern can draft, guess who is no longer going to be coordinating the materials library because they are working on door schedules. I'm pretty sure there are retail jobs that pay as much, if not better.

Feb 22, 10 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

$10/hour??!?!?! Honestly??? I'm getting temp work that pays almost twice that. And not even in architecture -- we're talking ANSWERING PHONES temp work. That's absolutely absurd.

Feb 22, 10 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

$10/hr is not enough for grooming products and nice dresses... pay more and I will groom well and dress well!

Feb 22, 10 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
WinstonSmith

Poorly groomed prostitutes make more money. We are less than prostitutes. Best hope is to become an AIA pimp at the very last.

Feb 22, 10 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Yeah but there's a lot or risk for prostitutes and they have to pay the pimp - it's like billing rate vs. take-home - and prostitutes have to bring their own work in, presumably this internship has more stable hours. Please respect the prostitutes... but yeah $10/hr is a little low.

Feb 23, 10 12:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: