Archinect
anchor

International Symbols for Wayfinding

jaol

Hi all on Archinect.

I was working on some signs for ADA Accessability in a Pool area. I was looking for an international symbol for a pool lift/ramp. I am certain that there is one around, but cannot find one. I really wish there was a particular place that I could find all international symbols, specifically on the Americans with Disabilities Act site. Does anyone know where I could look for these symbols. Perhaps that could be a proposal and a project for someone to put together a comprehensive list of symbols out there for everyone to use!

Feb 10, 10 3:58 pm

Hi Jaol, I have a company where we create custom tactile graphics:
http://www.pictureswithoutink.org/

Our signage is fully ADA compatible and we are currently working with the National Park Service and The Bishop Museum in Honolulu on projects.

Not sure about a specific symbol for a pool lift/ramp, I could research it a bit.

Feb 11, 10 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

While I don't think they have the specific one you're looking for, future (more common) symbol needs might be addressed by the AIGA Symbol Sign Set.

Feb 11, 10 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux
Hahaha, a universal symbol for a pool ramp? You've got to be kidding. What's next... questions about handicap parking at ice skating rings?

Sorry, I have nothing at all to add. Just skip my post.

Feb 11, 10 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
jaol

gibson, looks like you do some pretty cool work. being able to share visual work with the blind I think is pretty cool.
copper_top, I saw that website while I was doing research, we have all the basics covered. I decided to make something up. Funny thing though is that its for a Chicago Public School and supposedly this is the first time that they have made a sign like this. I am thinking that this sign is going to be replicated in other projects if they approve. Lucky me!! If the sign is done wrong, it may haunt me for years to come. I think what I did though will help. Will have to post the graphic to share with everyone if approved.

montagneux, remember that the disabled have every right to the freedoms that all "typically normal" people have!

Feb 11, 10 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

I could make one for you to offset being an ass?

Feb 11, 10 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
theids

There was a really piece in the the Dec09 issue of National Geographic about "The Wayfinding Handbook" written by David Gibson.

#1 South Africa: Very steep ramp leads to crocodile pit.
It shows a person in a speeding wheelchair zipping down the ramp with the crocs mouth wide open and waiting! I just have to ponder..WTF?

When I was living in Germany I saw a sign in someone's home office for no peeing standing up. haha.....

Feb 12, 10 12:14 am  · 
 · 

Thanks Jaol, appretiate the positive feedback.

Feb 12, 10 1:41 am  · 
 · 
jaol

No problem, montagneux. I can brush things off pretty easily. Sometimes I am just as guilty, especially when I was making this graphic.

Feb 12, 10 8:13 am  · 
 · 
montagneux

This is what I did.

Feb 12, 10 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: