Archinect
anchor

ARCHITECT in NYC

sam1

I would like to receive opinions on this:
after studying and practicing in Europe(italy) i am moving back to NYC.
I have more than ten years experience (both in architect offices in Italy and with my own company where I have built some works (residential, exhibit, interiors,) and participated in competitions, etc.....
is it hard to get a license in NYC ?
I am thinking of first working in an office in NY and then maybe after a while start my own business.....or find a partner ( contributing with clients in Italy).

Feb 7, 10 8:00 am
plugnpla

Is it hard?......Yes!
Working in an office in NYC?......Good luck.
Don't come to nyc if plan on practicing. Stay where you are. Don't come!

Feb 7, 10 11:35 am  · 
 · 
metal

if youve done your own thing already, i'd suggest trying to get in as a partner somewhere, unless youre bringing projects, your chances of getting a job will be just as hard as all the other unemployed architects walking around NYC. If you have projects, bring them with you.

getting lisenced here if you already have a Roman lisence or whatever shouldnt be too difficult. more info on that is available here from NCARB:
http://ncarb.org/en/Getting-an-Initial-License/Foreign-Architects.aspx

Feb 7, 10 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

I would say it is even harder.

With fewer companies considering relocation packages and the whole waiting 2-to-4 weeks for moving, NYC firms are less likely to consider anyone outside of NYC as a candidate. Maybe two or three years ago yes... but not so much now.

(Although one could argue that it is the current NYC crowd that caused the problems and fresher people should be more welcomed... but that requires a lot of people to admit personal responsibility that maybe they were part of the reason why their firm didn't perform so well and they were laid off or fired.)

Feb 7, 10 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
metal

yeah, unless you have some very specific type of experience or expertise that an office is looking for, its very diffcult to get a job in NYC as an outsider.

Feb 8, 10 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
odee

move to NYC, then find a job, the other way around is near impossible

Feb 8, 10 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

I have a NYC post box and a NYC phone number... and that's not tricking anyone!

Feb 8, 10 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: