Archinect
anchor

glutton for punishment…

dsc_arch

Ok I am a glutton for punishment…

How hard is the California supplementary exam for an architect that has been licensed for 12 years? We do a lot of code consulting and have been approached for some work in California.

Please advise.

Feb 2, 10 10:57 pm
Bruce Prescott

It's not that hard, especially if you are comfortable with codes. Not that I want to encourage anyone to come here and poach our projects ; )

Study the AIA manual of practice (sample question "define schematic design"); know your CBC chapter 11 (and don't confuse it with ADA) (e.g."what is wrong with this plan?"); and be sure to read over all of the sections of Title 24, such as the historic building code and the energy code. Review CEQA criterial, as well. It has been a long time since I took it, but I don't recall too many seismic design questions.

I mostly recall the dingy hotel room near LAX and how intimidating it was when the examiners said "is there anything else" after i thought I had given a thorough answer. Practice thinking on your feet and remaining calm (like dealing with an irate contractor when he's convinced the drawing are wrong).

Feb 3, 10 12:22 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Thanks,

It is partially a pride thing since I graduated from USC and get out there quite often.

I thought it moved to a computer based. I used to work for one of the examiners in the early 90's; she had great stories.

Feb 3, 10 8:11 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

they don't do the oral examination any more, budget cuts. so, have at it, i might too.

Feb 3, 10 9:38 am  · 
 · 

I tried to prep my former boss last year with a three inch stack that had all the coastal commission regs, ceqa, title 24, solar access codes, and a review of the seismic stuff. He failed because he didn't even look at the stuff and punted several answers with 'my lawyer would advise... [or something]' and his laurels as FAIA.

Feb 3, 10 10:36 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

The CSE is all about CA laws and codes so 12 years of practicing in another state, so I don't think that will do you much good in regards to the exam.

The oral version of the CSE will continue through the end of this year. I believe that all of the exam slots have been filled for this year. The computer version of the exam will begin in February of 2011.

You should get the ball rolling through CAB so you can establish your eligibility. Since you have been practicing as a licensed architect for more than 3 years you will not be subjected to the IDP process. CAB is overinundated with applicants so it may take about 6 months just to establish your eligibility. There is a list of exam reference materials on the CAB website.

There are some seminars given in CA for the CSE, however they are all based on the oral version of the exam. Some of them provide webinars for those who are out of the area. I would imagine that they will provide seminars this winter that will be geared towards the computer version. Check out the CSE threads on the ARE Forum for seminar providers.

Transitioning from the oral version of the exam to a computer version of the exam has nothing to do with budget cuts. Most all other professional exams in CA have already been transitioned to a computer based exam. CAB is just late in that process.

Feb 3, 10 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: