Archinect
anchor

working again

adhesive

Someone was smart enough to hire me. Now,  I get thrown into a half ass situation with people who don't know anything except how to use a certain computer program. Now I have to put their fantasy and make it real, as in able to be built.  No problem, I can do it, but I have to say that I don't know how in the world these guys managed to keep their job and guys that can do anything were let go? these guys with all due respect couldn't tell me how to do something even on their best day.  I guess I just feel bad for those out there unemployed who are really far better architect draftsmen and designers. Thought id get that off my chest.

have a good weekend

Jun 11, 11 2:26 pm
Rusty!

Don't be so quick to dismiss people for lack of knowledge that you may posses. If you look more carefully you may find that these people possess all kinds of other skills that are useful in this profession, that you may not necessarily have. All of my peers have a very weak grasp of building technology fundamentals (well, compared to me), but they more than make it up by having strong skills in client relations, building permit process, cost management, or even ,dare I say, strong design sensibilities. 

It's a lifelong commitment to learning, this profession is. It's ok not to know everything, as long as you don't have a chip on your shoulder...

Congrats on landing a gig though!

Jun 11, 11 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

http://blogs.wsj.com/in-charge/2011/06/08/credit-crunch-stalls-architects/?mod=google_news_blog

"Almost two-thirds of architects have at least one project that is stalled due to a lack of financing, a new survey shows."

The billings index right now is at 47.6. Not good.

There's less demand for people who can actually do documentation if projects keep stalling out. Most firms ought to be putting most of their weight into marketing, proposals, competitions and customer service to ease more potential clients into making the leap to turn ideas into realities.

Jun 11, 11 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
adhesive

Thanks for your reply guys,

they don't even know how to do good design, i was being nice by not saying that.  thank you james that billing index is terrible, but I did not mean to say that i can only do CD's, and that they can only do design. They dont know how to properly do anything.  I wish that they did know how to design, but they don't, but I'm not there to correct them, or make them see the error of their ways, I think if they care enough maybe one day they will be good.  A big maybe. aside from this office situation i brought up, I was basically just thinking about how other far better designers and draftsmen are out there with no job, far better at making proposals for competitions. But you know thats the way life goes, I think in the long run we should all strive to work for ourselves.

all the best

Jun 12, 11 11:54 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

honestly, my new job is nothing to write home about either, in terms of pay, design, and the technical know-how or even management know-how, of some of the people i work with.  i've had far, far better jobs in my career.  i just try to remind myself what it was like when i was unemployed, and realize that having consistent work has been a huge improvement.  i'm always working to try to reach out to new people, and on the occasion that i do see something better that looks worth going after, i'll bother to go after it.  at the same time, if i did get an offer at a better firm it would have to be a really good offer.  at times like these, being the new guy can be tough. 

Jun 12, 11 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Stop worrying about the other guy and focus your attention on being the best employee and architect that you can be.

Jun 12, 11 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
adhesive

Not worried about them I'm worried about having to work until the late hours of the morning because of their mistakes lack of ethics, Just why.  Le bossman, yes I can totally relate.

Jun 12, 11 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, I wasn't sure if you were positing an "us vs. them, I vs. you" thing that becomes to prevalent between design and technical sides.

Though, to do a little deceptive number play, we can say that 33% of architecture firms have no stalled projects and 20% of architecture firms have been easily able to secure financing for their projects.

(It's like when you say the employment-unemployment statistics in reverse— 91.3% of people are employed—makes the economy seem so much better.)

Architecture firms are like any business: there's the good; there's the bad; there's the ugly. Not everyone can be the nice Denny's that still leaves candles on the table or the Starbucks that has the perfect front porch with the shade trees and always clean ashtrays. Some firms have to be the Duane Reade where you can hear rats scurrying on the shelves behind the tampons or that independent smoothie store inside a convention center that can't even seem to freeze ice cubes right.

Jun 12, 11 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
adhesive

James these guys couldnt design that independent smoothie store inside of any convention center, they lack ethics, any experience, other than the ability to talk because they have a mouth, i feel like im talking with first year architecture students sorry to say but its the truth.

Jun 12, 11 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
medi

You got a job again.  Be happy again.

Jun 13, 11 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Sorry to hear it, adhesive, but I hope you can still manage to learn something - at least how NOT to do something, I guess!  good luck and don't let your employers' lack of ethics push you into anything that really isn't right.

Jun 13, 11 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
adhesive

Hi guys, just got 6 hours of sleep, back to work now. Thanks Donna.

Jun 16, 11 7:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: