Archinect
anchor

Anyone else having a difficult time find a job or internship in California?

Archinect Member

Is anyone else having a difficult time finding a job or an internship in California? It has been a year since I've been looking. I need to graduate and I can't seem to find someone who would just hire. I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem? This is frustrating... I enjoy architecture very much, and I want to move on with my career, but there's just no opportunity.

I have sent out tons of emails, and I get no reply. Rejection or not, I can't even get 1 reply back from the employer. Before sending out any emails, I made sure to research the company that I'm applying to first and personalize each email to suit the company and the position I am applying for. The least they could do is send an email stating they received it at least, but instead I get none. Professionalism doesn't fly one way.

Anyway, please share your thoughts and experience.

Jan 22, 10 7:54 am
gresham

The Western US is currently the weakest region in the Architecture Billing Index, so it's sadly no surprise that jobs are scarce.

http://info.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek09/1218/1218b_otb.cfm

Although this is the Nov/Dec report, I think the Jan 20 report (can't find a link for it right now) shows the same trend. Not that it's much better elsewhere in the US, but have you thought about relocating after you graduate?

Jan 22, 10 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Archinect Member

Thanks for the info gresham, it's a confidence booster to remind me that it's the economy and it isn't just me. Unfortunately my relocation limit ranges anywhere from San Diego to Los Angeles.

Sometimes I feel as though companies will reject my resume just because I'm not located within a few miles from the office area, but the thing is I'm willing to relocate, drive an hour to work everyday, or do whatever it takes just to be able to work and enjoy what I do.

I even applied for unpaid internships to a few companies and received no reply. I find myself picking up new technical skills, reading seismic books, and structural books just so I don't fall behind, but it'll do no justice if I can't get my degree. Frankly I am quite lost right now...

Jan 22, 10 9:25 am  · 
 · 
NLW2

I don't know if this would work, but say you took an unpaid, on-call position with a one-person firm. Is that a possibility? I don't mean just for you, but in general? Then, since business is likely slow, you could treat it as a casual apprenticeship. I did one with a guitar-builder a few years back, and just being able to talk with someone who is experienced, and really get inside a single business (you can learn EVERYTHING about what the firm does, since whoever's in charge is in charge of every last detail), really changed and 'practicabilified' my own design/construction practices and philosophies.

Oh yeah, they call that a mentor. Get a mentor that can say you're hired, if being hired is what you need to graduate.

Jan 22, 10 9:39 am  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

Dude, it is definitely not just you! Don't feel bad, they hardly ever respond to me either. The most luck I have had is Craigslist job ads. A few write back but they almost dont seem serious about hiring.
Cheer up, it is either gonna turn around and we will be valued as humans again or the Bible is not just a book and the world is coming to an end with all these natural disasters. If that is the case then I guess we don't need to worry about it anyway.

Jan 22, 10 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

either that or we can all become tour guides in the architectural-disaster-tourism trade.

Jan 22, 10 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

The future?

Jan 22, 10 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

Have you seen MVRDV's book KM3? They actually propose controlling weather patterns like that and blocking sun rays with "supershades" in space that could cool or heat particular areas!

Awesome thought processes! Kick ass!

Jan 22, 10 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: