Archinect
anchor

Working with a building designer-- pitfall or blessing?

Distant Unicorn

I recently came into contact with a pretty loaded dude (owns like two car dealerships) who wants to build his adult unemployed-for-three-years daughter a business space with 2-units overhead.

His daughter has garish tastes and wants "something that looks like it came from a Tim Burton film."

He wants to shop for an architect and a contractor to make this happen ASAP... but he doesn't want to come off as looking cheap or get sold on shiny expensive design (which is what his general taste is).

I was told that I would be paid to provide him with a pattern book and a few drawings of what his daughter essentially wants.

So my questions are--

1) Is this ethical?

2) I have made it pretty obvious over and over again that I cannot legally or morally be involved in any aspect of the process. The only thing I can provide is a template that an architect would hopefully follow and might even improve upon. Does this cover me against any liability if I make him sign something along the lines of this being in agreement for just visual imagery?

3) Will I have to stay involved?

4) Anyone who has worked with this kind of instance, would you mind describing your situation?

Jan 13, 10 10:47 pm
Rang

1) No, it is not ethical to design a building in the Faux-Victorian fantasy style.

2) It might cover you against liability, but not copy write infringement against Burton's set designers and imagery.

3) Knowing Burton's films, you will have to stay involved, as in your spirit will probably haunt this structure long after your passing.

4) Ask Johnny Depp.

-E

Jan 14, 10 9:30 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

if he doesn't want a mcmansion then a building designer isn't going to be able to offer him anything....

Jan 14, 10 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Orochi:

...In recession times I would get the job. I would not copy anything...If he wants just like it he needs to hire the original guys heh...Sorry about the source of inspiration, but you can give your very own twist in the design... maybe this will be one of Orochi's masterpieces. Or ask her to grow up! Post some pics.

Good luck,

Jan 14, 10 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
aceclubs

There is very little precedent for successful copyright infringement claims in architecture. Unless you're stealing plans and photocopying them you should be fine.

Anyway, aren't they trying to say they want something that looks like a French Chateau?

Jan 14, 10 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
aceclubs

don't know how to make it fit:

Jan 14, 10 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

"Anyway, aren't they trying to say they want something that looks like a French Chateau?"

I think so. It's expected to be in a small historic seaside downtown somewhere in the southeast.

So, I'm basically thinking late 19th century American Gothic.

My real concern though is giving this guy 2 or 3 drawings and a rendering and then have be taken around and shown to several firms... which might turn around and out of spite claim I was practicing architecture without a license.

I also don't necessarily want someone calling me 4 months later asking me about detailing.

Jan 14, 10 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
aceclubs

It may not be a problem. Depending on the professional code of the state, you may be allowed to offer building design services for projects within certain limitations. The only thing you can't do is call yourself an architect or claim that anything you produce is "architectural" (e.g. architectural drawings).

You're a designer providing building design services, producing design documents.

I hope this works out for you - sounds like fun.

Jan 14, 10 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Architects love the titles, "Artist" and "Artisan". Just use one of those in your contract and when the Architectural Firm gets the info they won't sue because of a mutual respect for those creative types.

Insert Rendering Here

Rendering Provided Courtesy of the Artist.

Jan 15, 10 9:34 am  · 
 · 

here in japan there are PRODUCERS who bring together various people and guide architects and whatnot to make things from cities to shoes. kind of like stylists but with buildings. is that legal in usa?

Jan 15, 10 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Nice idea, jump. I think that could work in America on a very limited scale because Americans don't seem to have that switch that the Japanese do to instantly turn off their egos.

But legality? I'm not sure. There's firms specifically hired to do just that but usually they have real professionals doing real things.

I turned it down. I told him I didn't think I really had the skills to tackle that after I did half of it.

But I'm having all hells of mood swings today and probably shot myself in the foot.

Jan 15, 10 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

American egos? Have you seen the state of architecture in this country? Sad thing is, American architects have absolutely nothing to be egotistical about. For the most part their quality of work sucks! ( Your responses please!) Any siginificant piece of architecture in this country is probably coming from Europe, Japan or somewhere overseas anyway!

Tell the dude and his daughter to go fuck themselves and that you have better shit to do than rip off Tim Burton!

Jan 18, 10 4:09 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

It's kind of back on.

My very first paid entryway.

Jan 20, 10 1:06 am  · 
 · 
Digital_Sandbox

Well that looks cool. What program did you use to model it?

Jan 20, 10 1:40 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

SketchUp + vray

Jan 20, 10 2:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: