Archinect
anchor

design fees for a federal project

gillespie

archinecters,

what would be a reasonable percentage for design fees for a federal building with a budget of $100 million?

thanks

Jan 13, 10 11:42 am

From what I have seen, between 2-3% (This is on recent DoD work)

Jan 13, 10 11:56 am  · 
 · 
outed

wouldn't it entirely depend on the project type? if it's barracks, that's one thing. if it's a lab, courthouse, or some such thing, that's entirely different.

Jan 13, 10 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

true... FYI the figure I quoted was for a hotel, approx. $100 million.

Jan 13, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
gillespie

good point ...this would be for a district courthouse.

Jan 13, 10 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Rumors have it that Heery got between 6-8.5% in fees to build the $100 million dollar federal, district and county courthouse tower in Orlando, Fl.

Jan 13, 10 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
distant

Orochi ... did the "rumor" also address their scope of services?

Heery often provides way more than just design services ... much of their work involves Construction Management services as well.

Jan 13, 10 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
some person

a Department of Defense hotel? Sounds luxurious...

Jan 13, 10 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Distant, it did not.

To Just Why, the DoD has an entire "secret" vacation compound at Disney World.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_Green_%28resort%29

Jan 13, 10 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
some person

holy cow - I had no idea that DoD had a resort in Florida.

I originally thought that DoD + "hotel" = Guantanamo Bay. Guess not.

And to the original poster...I'm not certain about the answer to your question. Perhaps GSA lists a fixed percentage that they provide for new construction? But they might only provide an interior tenant percentage because they rarely seem to build their own buildings from the ground up these days. I guess courthouses might be different.

Jan 13, 10 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
gillespie

The GSA does list a percentage ... the figure they proposed was in excess of ten percent, but they fail to enumerate how that figure was reached. Either it fails to accommodate economies of scale, or it encompasses more that just design fees. Or both.

Jan 14, 10 9:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: