Archinect
anchor

practicing in Europe

orangefest

Been lurking here for some time now and decided to register since I haven't been able to find an answer to this question.

I'm going to be getting my Master's degree from a NAAB accredited school but can't see myself staying in the US much longer. Do European countries have their own architect requirements similar to the Intern Development Program and the NAAB? Basically, how would I go about practicing architecture in Europe (mainly Ireland or Germany)?

Jan 4, 10 5:38 pm
IamGray

You seem like a nice chap so here's some info, but please for the love of all things beautiful use the search function (and google) next time.

http://www.bak.de/site/498/default.aspx
German Bundesarchitektenkammer (NAAB equiv roughly)

http://www.wonderland.cx/magazin/WONDERLAND-1-grau.pdf
Wonderland magazine outlining license info for every EU state. What you seek is on pg 8.

Basically, to gain the title of 'Architekt(in)' in Germany, you need a masters degree/Diploma that's up to snuff, plus two years working (three years for the state of Bayern, Saarland, and the City State of Hamburg).

'Registration in the list of architects of a state chamber of architects in the Federal Republic of Germany is granted on application on production of proof of a diploma, examination certificate or other relevant evidence in the field of architecture according to Article 46, 47 and 49 of Directive 2005/36/EC and relevant practical experience of 2 years'

Jan 4, 10 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

If you're getting your masters you're good to go.In most European countries the architecture program is 4 years except a couple of countries including England and Germany (I guess). All I know is you won't experience the same torture of NAAB in European countries and yes..please consult to Mr. Google for more info.

Jan 4, 10 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

In UK, you pay an exhorbirant fee to get your diploma checked for compatability.

I believe if you are registered in USA though, you can get registered in UK after 7 years of practice there...

If you are really serious about immigrating, though, why not go to grad school over there to start building a network? Having a degree there will definitely help your chances getting work approvals, etc.

Jan 5, 10 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Architecture degrees are 5 years almost anywhere in Europe.

Practicing in Ireland??? Ireland has had the biggest, largest and craziest housing bubble in Europe. Construction has totally collapsed there and the country is on the edge of bankruptcy. You will probably find more architecture jobs in Detroit.

On the other hand, I know a few people (German-speakers) who got jobs last year in Germany and German-speaking Switzerland. For what I was told, the crisis didn't affect them that much. Probably one of the safest countries in the world right now.

In the current economic situation, I'd definitely go for Germany over Ireland if I'd speak German.

Unless you want to set your own practice and sign your own buildings, you will be able to work with an American diploma anywhere in Europe.

Jan 5, 10 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
aceclubs

LOL, kakacakeza

In UK, you pay an exhorbirant fee to get your diploma checked for compatability.

In the US it costs $1,500 through EESA. Talking about exorbitant.

Jan 7, 10 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Just a note that a bigger problem than registration is sometimes salary. For example, architect's salaries in France seem to be miniscule compared to the already low US architect's salary. Or at least they were back in '00 when I was looking... Don't know about Germany, but I've heard similar for Spain. I don't have current info though so don't take my word for it -- just wanted to give you a heads up to check that aspect out too, just in case.

Jan 7, 10 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: