Archinect
anchor

happy new year , good news, and question...

French

Hi yall, and happy new year.
First of all, long time no post, I've been pretty bsy with plenty of things for the past two years, with our architecture office opening and all...
the good news is it got us to win a competition for a swimming pool last december.
The project is mostly based on a wood fence that merges with different small buildings housing the main functions. since it's a "seasonal" (probably not the right word) pool , opened only 4 monthes a year in summer, the actual architecture represents only about 200 square meters.
So our project is mostly this "free form" vertical wood fence. We are now in the process of developing this form and it's construction details. I have done my load of research during the competition phase, but i was wandering if any of you had any reference project similar to this description? Just to let evryone know, the "ideal object" behind this form was in our mind the sclptures of Theo Jansen :

icru.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/theo-jansen-animaris-percipiere-1.jpg

Thanks for yor help yall!

Jan 4, 10 6:28 am
bRink

congrats French! Happy new year!

one project that comes to mind is SHoP's Dunescape installation at PS1:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/50BzjGbuPDrDNNuk8pbpSw

http://compsyssum08.blogspot.com/2008/07/shop-architects-dunescapes-at-ps1-moma.html

http://www.shoparc.com/

Jan 4, 10 7:23 am  · 
 · 

alse check out the work of arne quinze. not the same, but maybe some things that relate.

Jan 4, 10 7:57 am  · 
 · 

there was a brilliant steel fence designed for a residential project a couple of years back. sort of a system that the designer developed that was then able to adapt to different conditions encountered. i'll try to find.

Jan 4, 10 7:58 am  · 
 · 
iheartbooks
French

bRink, I forgot about the dunescape project but it's exactly what I was looking for, especially since one of the document is showing a sectional view on the installation; I think unfortunatly ours will have to be more simple (it's not a temporary installation and it has to be easier tha this to build I think). By the way, does somebody knows how they build it? did they do it themselves or they had a wood ompany able to understand the form?

Jan 4, 10 11:06 am  · 
 · 
French

And thanks to Steven and iheartbooks for the other ref wich will be very useful too.

Jan 4, 10 11:07 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

as i recall, the dunescape was built by shop.

Jan 4, 10 11:25 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Yeah, I believe SHoP fabbed the dunescape installation themselves... they are heavily into the digital fabrication techniques, Not sure but I think they may have had each of the pieces custom cut from 2 x 6s of a digital model, perhaps pre-marked for ease of assembly? Not sure how they built it, but the sectional diagrams are informative, you may want to read more about it on their website or other literature?

Jan 5, 10 3:44 am  · 
 · 
metal

pirates of the carribean part 4: the return of the lobster boat

Jan 5, 10 4:10 am  · 
 · 
metal

It looks like a lobster having sex with a caterpillar

Jan 5, 10 4:14 am  · 
 · 
French

you have weird images on your mind fadetoblacko... Anyway, I figured such a complex wood assembly had to be home made, it's probably too complex for a constructor not to unterstand but to accept to take responsability for it.
I've found a nice book about shop work, but it's in italian, and I don't read Italian. Anybody has some clues about good, detailed litterature about their methods and stuf?

Jan 5, 10 4:20 am  · 
 · 
French

Hi yall
So things are going as smoothly as possible with this project.
We have developed the project a lot since my last post, and the SHOP reference wasn't so relevant after all, since there is a lot of wood used for the effect and we don't have enough money to taylor things as precisely.
We are actually trying to optimize even more the use of the wood in the project; one of the ideas we had to build the pergola roof in the project was to use textile material. So I'm looking at this great project:

Casa Wall

And I'm looking for more informations on the textile they use, but can't find anything.
Anybody has a clue?

Thanks for the help

Regards

French

Mar 1, 10 6:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: