Archinect
anchor

different floor system in one building?

jlxarchitect

In a highrise building( >72'), can I incorporate several floor structures into it? LIke some area use flat slab floor, some use beam to support the floor. Can I?

Oct 27, 04 8:59 am

Of course you CAN. It may not be the most cost-effective than a repetitive/consistent system, but...

I'm not sure how your example illustrates different floor systems. Your concrete slabs could certainly be supported by steel frame, and that steel frame could also support other floor structures: wood, light steel. Happens all the time. If your concrete slab is part of a concrete frame, why not use concrete beams instead of steel at the other floors?

Key issue: How is a combination of systems important strategically in your design and is it the most efficient solution (both intellectually AND economically)? When you get to the cleanest, most rigorous strategy from an architectural point-of-view, pass it on to your structural engineer for options regarding efficient solutions.

Oct 27, 04 9:10 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Steven:

Thanks!

I actually am thinking of using concrete beam and post structure in podium area( so beam is still concrete) and using flat slab concrete floor in high rise area. It is amazing to see you talk about steel beam while I didn't talk about using the stell beam yet? I will also use steel column and beam in my roof area to support the big canopy.

Is my scheme working?

Oct 27, 04 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

I think what you are proposing is fairly conventional. When I did high rises, the podium was always reinforced concrete columns/slabs, and the tower floors generally were lighter construction - either steel structure with a concrete slab on deck, or wood frame and floor. Occasionally the cores would be made of something more substantial like cast in place concrete or block - I'm in California, so often they were used as components of the lateral bracing/seismic system. What I haven't ever seen is a combination of structural systems within the program areas of tower floors. Usually these types of buildings are all about efficiency, and the cost of multiple structural systems (more trades, etc.) generally precludes their use.

Is this a school project? Your choice of structural system usually has a lot to do with where your project is located. Take a look at what other existing buildings have done in your area for clues. For example, in countries where labor is less expensive than the states, it is not unusual to see full-on concrete high-rises as the labor of creating all of that formwork is relatively cheap compared to the cost of an alternative material (say steel).

Oct 27, 04 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: