Archinect
anchor

The get out of jail free card...Is that real?

bsitds

My sob story: I graduated cum laude in May of '08 from a top 5 ranked architecture + design school. I went straight to work in NY for the same company I interned with doing mostly high end retail and corporate work. I survived several rounds of layoffs until I was the only one left under my boss (an associate at the firm) and had taken on all of the work of everyone around me with more experience that had been given the boot. In March I became the only surviving employee under the age of 30 as the firm had roughly gone from 80 people to 20 with 10+ being associates (top heavy pyramid anyone?). I was finally let go at the end of May and have been jobless ever since.

My question: I understand completely that it's a tough economy and loads of architects and designers are in similar situations. Now 6+ months unemployed, if I dont find work soon will my high ratio of unemployment to working time seriously hurt my chances of ever finding a job? I can go on and on in interviews about my experience designing, spec-ing, doing complete cd's, working with clients, working with contractors (I wasn't sarcastic about taking on everyone else's work), becoming LEED accredited, etc. but will it become almost impossible to even get that interview when my cv says I worked may 2008 - may 2009? Or do you think everyone almost gets a free pass for their employment history post sept 2008?

Dec 30, 09 4:52 am
brian buchalski

why would everyone get a "free pass" when, in fact, there are still many people working?

more likely, it won't even be relevant because by the time the profession starts hiring again everybody will have found something else to do.

Dec 30, 09 7:43 am  · 
 · 

it won't really matter, bsitds. keep yourself plugged in to what firms are doing in your city, maybe attend aia or other architecture-culture events, etc. keep networking, let people know your face, and let people know you're still in circulation. don't be too picky about the first job that you come across because it will get you back on the road. once you've got that job, i doubt you'd encounter any questions.

also, something i did from '91-'93, just get some cards made up for yourself, do some on-your-own work (friends' bookshelves, a new bed for yourself, competitions) and call yourself 'studio bsitds' or something. you can put self-employment on your resume, even if you never take a check....

Dec 30, 09 7:58 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

It won't be an issue as far as you have skills and in your next job you will work for less money than anybody else.

So simple.

Dec 30, 09 8:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think a common question whenever things recover is going to be "So how did you ride out the recession?" Steven's idea is a good one - keep yourself busy doing your own things, even if unpaid, and when the question comes up you'll be able to say "I did a few small projects but I'm ready to get back into a firm now."

In other words, don't worry about it. Forty percent of us will have that gap on our resumes come the recovery. If you manage to do a competition, produce some renderings, make furniture, etc. and put that in your portfolio, you'll be fine.

Dec 30, 09 8:24 am  · 
 · 
bsitds

Thanks for everyone's help. I totally agree, Hawkin, that my biggest selling point is that I'm young, cheap, and can work fast. And Liberty Bell, it's funny you bring that up because I was asked exactly that on a recent interview! I mentioned all the design related things I've been up to (mostly LEED, competitions, and helping friends with their random apt needs) and the guy seemed happy that I wasn't just sitting around watching TV all day. They still wanted someone with more experience. C'est la vie.

This is a little off topic of the original question but is a firm of all principals and associates functional? At my old firm everyone under 30 (less than 10 years experience give or take) were completely wiped out. Maybe this was just where I was, but most of the higher up staff didn't know CAD or any other similar software. I get that they're the ones bringing in new business, but don't you need the worker bees to get the jobs done once they come in?

Dec 30, 09 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Over 30 and don't know cad....yikes they are down the tube. Well I'm over 50 and I can slam away at cad....think we ole boys who took the time might end up being the winners in this recession deal. Between me and the Mrs we can design and produce alot of projects cause we run four computers a plotter and two dogs.

Dec 30, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

"but don't you need the worker bees to get the jobs done once they come in?"
I think they hire temporary workers or "interns" for those positions these days. I think if we start looking for contract positions we'd find jobs easier,it is better than nothing.

Dec 30, 09 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
bsitds

snook - I totally agree that those who have kept up with the changing technologies of the industry will be far better off than those who haven't. Fortunately for my old firm, most of the higher up staff I'm referring to are associates and never *have to learn CAD unless the company goes under I guess. What amazes me (and might be a whole discussion in itself) is that while a good number of the associates who haven't learned CAD have other bankable skills - amazing drafting/sketching abilities - there were a select few who didn't draft, sketch, OR do CAD. Haha how they were able to get an architecture degree and then work their way up to associate without any of those skills is beyond me!

fun story: One such associate thought sketchup was the neatest thing since sliced bread and wanted me to show him how to use it. After showing him how to make a basic cube he decided he was over it. haha it then took a solid 5 min for me to explain to him how to save his beautiful cube. Ctrl+Save and File>Save were new concepts...he's 37! Haha it's a good thing he's a nice guy!

Parad0xx and 18x32 - Both excellent advice I wish I had adopted earlier in my job hunt. I'm a firm believer that if the definition of insanity is repeating the same actions over and over expecting different results, then I have to keep tweaking my tactics to hope for better results (and to keep from going insane!) I recently nixed my school awards section on my resume in favor of a 'select project experience' section to showcase some projects where I had a lot of responsibilities. I've already seen more responses to this version than before! Ok so they're still 'we like your work but we're not hiring' responses but that's better than being ignored, no?? I'll put finding a permanent position on the back burner for a while, too, and focus on finding temp work for a while. Keep your fingers crossed!

Jan 5, 10 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: