Archinect
anchor

standards for experience

marikurecolor

hi everyone merry christmas! so i was doing a little bit of reflecting in my life, i've been 2 yrs off from college and currently have a 1 1/2 year of experience in architecture.

i tried comparing experiences with my classmates from college and found out that some of them have handled a project on their own did some site visits etc. while i on the other hand handled projects, but lesser experience outside the site.

what i usually do is do revisions which makes me feel like a cad monkey [or is this part of arki life?], sometimes talking to the engineers, respond to some technical form concerning the site which is sometimes hard for me to do because i haven't seen what was happening in the site and because my boss just leaves the work to me with some vague instructions [like which/how/and in what criteria should i approve a doorknob? what kind of paint to use etc]

because of sometimes having a feeling that iam being left in a limbo of decisions in the projects, i felt that the experience that i got from the office was inadequate although i couldn't blame my boss for not being able to mentor me since my boss is too busy juggling 2-4 projects.

anyhow, it made me wonder, for a person working in architecture [example, for 2 years] are there any "standards" as to how much experience you should get?

thanks i hope someone would shed a light on this! :)

Dec 26, 09 3:59 am
outthere

There's really no "standards" because theres alot of factors involved. Every office and boss is different.

I think alot depends on the size and type of the project your working on.. also what type of office are/were you in? ..if its corperate (from what I hear) they will try to piggeon hole you into that cad monkey position and you might not ever get to the site.

I would say the size of the office also has alot to do with it ..I have 2.5 yrs exp. and a year ago i went from a medium size office to a small office and my responsibility shot through the roof.

Dec 26, 09 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

Just be glad you're getting any experience, I can't seem to get squat with only a BSAS degree, I suppose I picked a crappy time to try to graduate right now.

Dec 26, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
marikurecolor

@ outthere: in my 1 1/2 year of work experience, i handled a 2-4, 8 storeys condominium-resort bldgs, and yes its a medium size office and we're 3 man team on that project, so you could expect a lot of cad working to do. :)

@milwaukee 08: just don't give up, for me, it took me 8 months before I landed on my very first job. there's always a company out there who's hiring people. :)

Dec 30, 09 8:14 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want - Anon.

Dec 30, 09 9:58 am  · 
 · 
pmarch

I have 3 years full time experience - 90% of which is was purely the design side.
In terms of "responsibility", i have been really lucky and have been given alot. I worked within a design team for my first 1-1.5 yrs where i would basically help produce design packages but was not the lead designer(which is totally necessary because it is when you will learn the most). I then started getting to take projects more on my own (still with a design leader above me kinda there for guidance if you need them, but really hands off other than that).

In terms of "experience"- i have some lacking areas. I have alot of design experience- most in my sector which is hospitality (and some commercial mixed-use). I do the general start up design processes like study the site, adjacencies, circulation/function, - they give you a program and a site and you run with it..then ALOT of presentation work-how to graphically present them, color them, render them, etc.
I LACK experience in production and the details. I am trying to learn as much as i can but its hard- when i never work in the CDs. This is making some of my AREs difficult. hopefully ill get some of that experience soon!

"..if its corperate (from what I hear) they will try to piggeon hole you into that cad monkey position and you might not ever get to the site"

-my friends that work more on the production side are the ones that get to go to the site the most.
- I work at HKS. And i guess you can say I have been "pigeon holed" into designing concepts for skyscrapers and resorts.

Dec 30, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

Sounds like an interesting project mcolor.. and the size of it seems to be why there’s 3 people working on it

right now i work on (1) 7 story condo (was 2 until 1 was recently completed) by myself ..we are a very small firm so i do everything ..CAD, shop dwgs, dealing with the client, contractor, engineers, some rendering, site visits, minutes, etc.

i wasnt around for the beginning of these projects but there are some renderings and previous studies in the file done by the person i replaced.. while i have been involved in DD's, CD's, and CA i have yet to see the initial design phases of a project

but pmarch is right ..the more responsibility you get the more you learn

Dec 30, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
marikurecolor

ah thank you so much for enlightening me, i guess there's no ending to what an architect needs to learn i guess all of us have weak points in some parts in architecture. all we need to do is learn and learn :) but i am glad that im working in this profession :)

Jan 6, 10 8:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: