Archinect
anchor

Digital Submittals

architerp

Has anyone had success using digital submittals, RFIs, etc during CA?

At the start of every project we discuss going digital with the contractor. The most common reason for not is that the subcontractors are not able to digitize their submittal packs, particularly large format drawings. And the contractor will not do it.

We've tried to do the scanning ourselves, but it is time-intensive. We've also considered requiring digital submittals, etc in the specs... but that's never read by the contractor.

However, if a RFI or submittal needs immediate attention, you can guarantee it will show up as a pdf in your inbox.

Dec 23, 09 7:45 am
Frit

The only thing I don't do digitally is samples / color selections. There as a repro shop near the job site that the contractor has to use to scan the submittals. If I were them I'd require it from the subs, but that's their choice. On previous projects I've had contractors with the Oce scanner/printer combo so they could scan themselves and print the returned copies. The only real change was getting everone to initial their comments, since the colors get lost in the scaning. Over the life of the project I'm sure it saves a fair amount of time, not to mention the cost of couriers and FedEx.

Dec 23, 09 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: