Archinect
anchor

holographic architectural renderings

toasteroven
wow

Dec 12, 09 4:46 pm
iheartbooks

Sick, but a bit unnecessary. Definitely sick though.

Dec 12, 09 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

yeah i was looking into that for a project i was doing but the price just wasn't worth it....

Dec 12, 09 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

dark magic!

Dec 13, 09 12:34 am  · 
 · 
niro

defiantly has it advantages, but not a physical model replacement.

peedy, how much did they cost?
if u can pay someone 10-20g for a physical model, the holographic version should not cost more than 1/3-1/4 of that.

Dec 13, 09 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

yeah, i wonder if they are re-usable, in case you want to update your design and need to re-render, do you have to buy a new piece of board again?

They will probably sell those kind of printers in the future, so thats how all the presentation prints will be done in arch-firms in 10-20 years from now...

Dec 14, 09 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Well the thing is if i remember right...

And this is where things get absolutely HILARIOUS.

A holographic image is usually made from physical model.

A hologram is made by an object getting "scanned" by a coherent light beam (a laser).

Complex holography requires multiple beam splits and even multiple lasers. Now these can be record or duplicated onto a "master hologram" once initial recording occurs.

However, the initial first hologram is the most expensive.

I'm sure you could fake it, but it would require a pretty awesome computer set up to fake both the reference laser and the object refraction light. That'd require you to invest full computer power in rendering a 360 degree view of an image at more than 30 frames a second at a minimum of 20-30 mega pixels per frame.

Add on top of all of this, that a hologram that size costs between 3000-5000 dollars.

Dec 14, 09 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Isn't this technology from the 80's or something? I feel like I remember getting hologram baseball cards in my breakfast cereal.

Dec 14, 09 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

gimmick alert!

Dec 15, 09 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

i'll wait around for Volumetric Displays

Dec 15, 09 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
Dec 15, 09 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

Coop Himmelb(l)au used a holographic model in their exhibit at Sci-Arc last year (or was it two years ago?)

Dec 15, 09 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

That there is some kinda devil voodoo magic mojo. How they do that?

Dec 16, 09 1:27 am  · 
 · 
binary

you can't replace a physical model...... that hologram looked a bit 'cartoonish' for my taste

Dec 16, 09 1:58 am  · 
 · 

is that a 'true' hologram? it looks more like a super-high resolution lenticular lens.

still cool.

Dec 16, 09 2:53 am  · 
 · 
Rhizome33

I'm familiar with this technology- it's not a lenticular, but a true hologram made with a difraction grating in a piece of film.
But they don't make them from a physical model - they use your computer models and they cost between 1 and 2,000.
It does represent some pretty amazing computation though, as far as I understand it they render thousands of views in a couple of hours and then put them in the film via the aformentioned voodoo magic (i.e. diffrection grating).

Dec 30, 09 9:54 am  · 
 · 
pmarch

I was underimpressed. Its basically taking a still rendering like any other and putty on some 3D glasses. and because off the odd coloration and what-not, i think its almost less informative than a still rendering!

If you could move around the hologram and see it from different angles, that would be awesome, but you can't. You can only really see it when you are looking directly perpendicular to the plane. (you can see this in the video).

Dec 30, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Right -- that's why they offer two formats: a plan-view "model" that is presented flat, and an easel-mounted (more-or-less vertical) one for elevational views. At least that's what I saw. . .

Dec 31, 09 2:04 am  · 
 · 
aspect

would be more interesting to use it for facade or flooring^^

Dec 31, 09 6:32 am  · 
 · 
Endooo

when i read "hologram" i pictured a floating model that you could actually walk around...

Dec 31, 09 10:59 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Yeah - it should buzz or hum or something, and be projected from a puck on the floor -- or maybe a nice coffee table (included). I mean, really. . .

Dec 31, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: