Archinect
anchor

Structural Systems Atop Tree Root Systems

cweller

Can anyone offer me any insight into the following:

I would like to allow foot traffic around/ over tree roots in a plaza. I would like to keep the trees alive for shade. Is there some sort of architectural system that could be applied over the roots such as grass pavers with some level of fill that you have heard about or had success with? Any thoughts? We would like to maintain a natural appearance, the space is not located in an urban setting. The other option in to cut the trees down.

Plant type: Pinyon Pine
Type of planting: Forest
Soil Moisture: Deficient
Terrain: Level
Drainage: Good

Dec 8, 09 12:45 pm
treekiller

ask you're project's landscape architect.

Consider just installing a thick layer of mulch (bark or stone fines) and call it a day. The other solution is have a systems of small pier footings that minimize root disturbance to support a permeable deck above grade.

if the tree is well established, structural soils can't be amended in/retrofitted, so grass pavers aren't a good choice - they need a stable bedding layer (which would disturb the trees).

There are examples of rubber sidewalks installed adjacent to street trees to replaced damaged concrete/asphalt sidewalks. Several playground products are pervious. Again, they require a good bedding course.

Dec 8, 09 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

thanks for your input!

Dec 11, 09 8:46 am  · 
 · 
threshold

I find irony in that "treekiller" provided the answer to this one

Dec 11, 09 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: