Archinect
anchor

Do you know a firms with great presentations, graphics?

renmonk

Hey all,

We're trying to standardize and consolidate our firm's presentation standards. In order to allow everyone to see the variety of ways that information can be presented at different stages and in different media, I'm trying to find as many examples of great drawings, boards, layouts, and graphics as I can in a PROFESSIONAL setting.

Right now things are a mishmash of pinned up trace, finished-looking CAD/Revit printouts, Sketchup models and hardlined hand drawings at every stage, with little consistency. Depending on the architect, the availability of interns with computer know-how and who the PM is, every presentation looks completely different. The boss would like to consolidate and streamline.

Basically, I've explained the many ways that visual information can be presented in the 21th century, but of course, being architects, they need actual visuals. A lot of the stuff on archinect is academic, but I need a lot more examples of the way that information is laid out in a professional presentation setting. I've done multiple searches on here but couldn't find much.

So...do you know a firm (not necessarily a starchitect) with awesome graphic skills? Eye-catching presentations? Looking for quantity here, not quality...so any help would be much appreciated...

Thank you!

Dec 6, 09 5:10 pm
randomized
http://archlandscapes.com/

?

Dec 6, 09 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

Just my 2 cents, I've never worked in a firm, but to start I would just ask them to scan all their trace and whatever in digitally, so *everything* can be just put into something like Photoshop or InDesign.

That way you can see even if all of the drawings aren't using the same techniques, if they're all printed out together in the same way, they'll all look *consistent* and slightly more professional.

But what do I know, I'm just a student.

Dec 6, 09 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

I like the graphics of GRAFT I also think their website is great.

Also, Resolution: 4

Dec 7, 09 9:56 am  · 
 · 
camhard

What type of firm/projects?
I haven't worked in a firm, so I'm not sure exactly what type of drawings you are presenting, but here are a few firms with nice graphic styles:

Lewis.Tsurumaki.Lewis
Morphosis has a very interesting and successful way of presenting information. Their books are probably a better bet than their site though.
Sanaa/Sejima has some interesting stuff

There are lots. I think it really depends on the type/style and stage of work and what is trying to be communicated. I also believe that the architects who are asking you to do this research should have knowledge of representation and a style of their own, given that this is a large part of what defines a firm. Just my thought.

Dec 7, 09 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

A good tip I recently figured out : check the "competition results" pages from some of the more recent professional competitions -- the winning and honored submissions are usually shown online, and you can sometimes download the pdfs of the boards. Gives you a good variety of styles, helpfully all presented in the same basic board format, so it helps you compare / contrast.

Bustler probably has some competition-win links.

Dec 7, 09 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

These guys are my inspiration for artistic imagery:

http://www.luxigon.com/images/d10.jpg.php

http://www.labtop-rendering.com/gallery2/

Dec 7, 09 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Morphosis has some of the best graphics, take a look at their books and competition entries (if you can find them).

Competitions are probably your best bet. Many archive online these days.

Dec 7, 09 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i know they're a bit cartoon-y, but BIG's diagrams are pretty effective at conveying info to clients/non arch.

Dec 7, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Their animations do a pretty good job explaining design decisions too.

Dec 7, 09 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
renmonk

Awesome, I will check out the competition results pages. It's a small/midsize firm doing mostly public design and historic preservation...so museums, visitors centers, libraries, renovations of historic houses, etc. They know that they need to get better at the rendering, so I think a lot of the effort is being placed on actual design/layout of their presentations rather than actual rendering quality.

Dec 8, 09 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Related to competition results you could also look for AIA award presentations. AIA Los Angeles has a decent archive of Design Award presentation boards which gives you a pretty good selection of material with related content to think about.

Dec 8, 09 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: