Archinect
anchor

Best way to clean up a model with burnt edges?

batdinger

the madness of final reviews is beginning.

best way to clean edges for laser cut museum board?

spray?
whiteout?

Thank you!

Dec 6, 09 3:22 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 6 Comments

rehiggins

couple coats of gesso (there's a spray version available) then spray paint

Dec 6, 09 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
binary

first you should have adjusted the laser power/speed settings to reduce the burn..... run a test of a small 1/4" square and a circle next time...

whipe the burn off with a paper towel. there's probably some residue from the glues/etc in the board... then, about 8-10 really light coats of white.... enamel paint (rustoleum) will take longer to dry so use krylon if possible... if you lay it too heavy, the board will swell and you will get a gloss look..

anymore questions view my forum modelbuilding101.com i check it daily....

Dec 6, 09 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Ah, that's a pain... >_<

Just back the board with contact paper next time and it'll reduce most of the burning.

Dec 6, 09 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just for a reference...

here's an image of a touch up model with some additional model work.. the site/buildings was museum board...main buildings were acrylic

i received the main model with site buildings in museum board and had to clean it up. i applied about 5 coats of white flat krylon then matte finish to avoid any finger print smudges/etc

Dec 6, 09 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

use rottenstone powder

Dec 6, 09 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
kunzhang

First, I will lower the power and push up the speed. I will also use hydrogen peroxide and paper towel to wipe the burned edges. It works well,  smooth and quick! 

Image 1: Burned Edge

Image 2: After being Treated

Image 3: After being Treated

Image 4: Hydrogen Peroxide

Dec 10, 19 1:32 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: