Archinect
anchor

Moonlighting! Write or Wrong?

arch_pod

So I have been working for my present employer for a year and a half now and have been given a lot of responsibility and am currently building the house that I did 80% of the design and work on.

Just today someone I had meet up with a year ago called me and is looking to do some sort of rennovation/addition to a new house he is purchasing. So he tells me that he does care if its me or my boss he just wants to get started. Now I know that my boss is super busy right now but that also means I am super busy. So chose your own adventure.

a) you decide to do it on your own and keep it top secret with risk of your employer finding out?
b) you tell your employer and let him take it from there with a 50% chance of some sort of bonus.?
c) you tell your boss and ask if you can take on work outside of the firm.?
d) you quit your awesome, stable job and take on this guy as your first client and see where it takes you?

Oct 26, 04 12:08 am
arch_pod

Sorry for the error in spelling, its late!

Oct 26, 04 12:09 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

If you like your job, I would tell your boss about it and see if either a) he'll take it and let you manage/design it, it you have the time within the office or are willing to work longer hours, or b) he'll let you do it as a side job if you promise it won't drain you from your day job. Better to be honest, karma and all that...

Oct 26, 04 12:17 am  · 
 · 
mark

either b or c. i know in my office it'd be c, because we don't do one off houses. a is a really bad idea.

Oct 26, 04 4:13 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

In large firms especially, the companies that insure the firms usually require the firms to implement "no moonlighting" policies and to have the employees sign something indicating that they've received the firm's handbook/rules/whatever. If you don't remember having received a handbook with a policy on this then speak to your employer. If he says there is a strict no moonlighting policy (or at least moonlighting in fields that are related to architecture or design, because that's all they can enforce) then first: realize that it may not be his own policy, but the insurance carrier's. second: consider the next move carefully. Bringing the job into the firm is not always a bad idea - in fact bringing any work to a firm no matter how small will often help you move forward more quickly. Doing the project behind your employer's back may turn out fine, but on the other hand may end up getting you fired or getting your firm sued.
If you do decide to do the project alone (with or without employer's permission) NEVER: take or make phone calls related to the project on your employer's phones or during work hours, use any letterhead, buiness cards, etc. with the name of the firm, use anyone else in the firm for advice, clerical services, etc. about the project. All of these things can create liability for your employer.

Oct 26, 04 9:17 am  · 
 · 
kn825

I really wouldnt go out on your own if all you have is one house renovation. There is far more value to you, especially on such a small job, to bring it into your current job, be seen as someone bringing in work, and go from there. I have done some moonlighting work, and I've always told my boss about it. They dont mind because a. they dont necessarily want to do the small jobs b. it helps you grow as an architect/designer type to manage something on your own, and they benefit from that knowledge. Dont get caught lying. Then you're just screwed.

Oct 26, 04 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

Rennovation/Addition think of the possibilties.....

Oct 26, 04 10:43 am  · 
 · 
arch_pod

thanks to those who responded thus far, this really helps the decision process!

Oct 26, 04 11:27 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

if you eventually want to go on your own you would be crazy to pass it up; this is the best way. make sure you have a huge time frame because its hard to get a lot of work done after the day job. employers (from my experience) generally don't care what you do on the side as long as it doesn't interfere with what you do for them.

i was in the same boat not to long ago. i used it as an opportunity to get out of the hellhole i was in. its since let to enough work to sustain myself comfortably. however, if i was to do it again i would finish the first side job(s) before i quit to get reserves saved up. its been hell on my credit cards getting set up with no money saved.

Oct 26, 04 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I would also add its risky to take on a project by yourself without a lot of prior experience. Not only from a knowing what goes into the drawings and getting it built point of view, but also dealing with clients, business aspects (not losing money), insurance, etc. It would be far better for you to be able to do it as part of your company, that way you are still learning what to do but have some guidance and the ultimate responsibility is not on your shoulders. We have also used side jobs to segway into our own company, and it's working OK so far, but we've had some major headaches and learned a lot the hard way.

Oct 26, 04 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

As an employer wo has had staff do there own outside projects it is somewhat understood as I did once too. However it only ever gets to be a problem when the employer feels as though he is competing with his staff over the work. Its a scale thing, if the office does large scale project s and does even look at the smaller reno type work then it shouldn't be a problem except for the employer's ego, but in a small office it could be somewhat problematic.

I really jumped in when a client offered me a larger project and my former employer felt that it was an office job and I stood my ground and left. Still have that particular client years after and he has responsible for allowing me to set the stage for my office as it is today.

Oct 28, 04 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i had a similar opportunity to work for one of my boss external associates - he offered me to do the work for him - and since i (stupidly) had sold off my home computer for some cash, i asked my boss if i could do the work in the office after office hours (since he'd come to know about this anyways). he agreed and i also said i would give him 20% of the money i would get for using the office. - it was all good until my boss started to think that office work was getting affected because of my side work and would start making comments. It got kinda dirty until i decided to buy a new home computer - its better for my mental health to go home and work after the office atmosphere and do not get into my boss' hair

moral : out of sight ; out of mind

Oct 29, 04 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
arch_pod

Thanks for everyone’s insight... I have currently decided to bring the work to the office. My wife was also a major player when she flat out said "are you crazy you will get fired!" However I did decide to play my cards too. I first set up the meeting with the potential client and myself only to discuss what his intentions were and the scope of his project. This gave me a back door if the project was something worth taking off on. Then I asked my boss what the incentives were for bringing work to the company. He told me that he really had not thought of it but he thought it would be fair to make the person who brought in the work project manager and to give some type of percentage (depending on the scale of work) of the overall profit to the person bringing in work. I thought this to be fair and told him I was meeting with a potential client and I would tell him how it went. He seemed satisfied and it also allowed me to bring samples of the firm’s work to show the client.

I think that with the help of everyone's suggestions it seems like I made the right choice. The client seemed more impressed with the idea of a team effort and the examples of the firms work really sold it home. So thus far it seems like at this point in the game it is going to work out. I will keep everyone up-to-date

Thanks again

Oct 29, 04 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Good luck. Sounds like you are good at diplomacy, which will help a lot if and when you do go out on your own.

Oct 29, 04 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
J3

doing right now! anyone have a typ. exterior wall section (2x4 wd studs) you may want to share? how about some footing details. Concrete with brick facing?
I really don't have any of these in my "high end" custom work library.

Oct 31, 04 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
J3

our official statement on this:
Outside Employment
X recognizes that you may wish to seek additional employment during your off hours. We ask you to remember that, despite any outside employment, your full-time position with us is your primary responsibility. The use of x’s name, equipment, and services is strictly reserved for x-related business and is not to be used for outside employment purposes. Outside work that presents a conflict of interest is prohibited.
Before you undertake outside employment, discuss with your supervisor whether such employment will present a conflict of interest, interfere with your ability to work overtime, or adversely affect your performance at x.

Oct 31, 04 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: