Archinect
anchor

LEED Certified Addition Without Certifying the Existing Building

jules26

Is it possible to certify a Building Addition without certifying the existing building it is attached to?

This gray area doesn't seemed to be addressed in the various LEED reference guides (new construction or existing buildings) or on the USGBC or GBCI websites. I also have not been able to find any case studies for this situation.

The addition would be less than 25% of the size of the existing building. The addition's MEP systems would be independant from the existing building. The addition and the new building are fairly cleanly separated by a sort of party wall.

I imagine this would be similar to creating a contrived site boundary which is less than the entire project site (which is addressed and allowed.) But I am hesitant to go through the entire process without some concrete information. Has anyone successfully done this or can anyone point to any case studies?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nov 30, 09 11:13 am
gresham

You should be able to to this, as long as you treat the site boundary consistently across all the credits.

I don't thnk there's a % threshhold you have to hit in terms of the project size relative to the existing building, but maybe someone else can confirm this.....

Here's one examplehere

Nov 30, 09 11:33 am  · 
 · 
jules26

Gresham - I'm thinking the same way you are. We attempted to use this strategy for one project but ultimately the client backed away from LEED and we never submitted the templates for review. So I never got any official feedback from USGBC/GBCI on the strategy.

The case study link was helpful, but it is not clear whether they only certified the addition or certified the entire building.

Has anyone made a successful submission using this strategy?

Thanks again.

Dec 1, 09 8:23 am  · 
 · 
mces

for sure, it works.. IMHO, the existing building is out of your scope and you can not include the building except you do major renovation such as HVAC, envelope and interior renovation in that existing part.
If you don't do anything in existing and you still want to certify, you can certify the existing one with LEED EB and the addition with LEED NC.
If you do major renovation in existing part, you may submit as one project or two separate project. I would prefer to split into two project because it will be easier to you to assess the points that you will get and what type of certification that may be suitable for each portion such as LEED NC & LEED CI or both are LEED NC.

Dec 1, 09 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: