Archinect
anchor

Chicago Magazine - Unemployed/Underemployed Architects

chicagoarchitect

New Chicago Magazine edition has an article on current state of architectural profession in Chicago. Article notes "unemployment somewhere in 20% to 60% range". Not too precise, and doesn't note whether that includes underemployed architects now paid for only two or three days a week. Good insight; recommend reading article only with a drink in hand.

I'm expecting another round of lay-offs here.

Nov 24, 09 7:22 pm
blah

I just went up to the library and read it. Good for Jackie Koo!

There was the requisite quote from Dirk and the vague figure of 20% to 60% unemployment. I didn't know that there were 5000 architects in Chicago.

I am concerned about what's happened to fees. It's gonna push folks with big mortgages into bankruptcy. It's really awful

Nov 24, 09 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

dirk.... diggler?

i think the same numbers would probably apply in seattle. our office has been getting inundated with resumes of people wanting to take my job!

if i had some more bank and the dollar was a lot stronger, i might oblige them.

Nov 24, 09 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
blah

No, Holz, Mies's grandson and my ex-boss.

I wonder where chicagoarchitect works...

I just walked into some work where I was helping a contractor get a permit for a new guardrail on some gorgeous old masonry building. The developer converted 22 units with no permits. The City had a record of 12 units from a permit in 1951. My guess is that the porches will have to come down. That's a bit of drawing... We'll see about fees. That's where this whole economy is downright scary. Architects will do anything for work including eat their young at this point. I am glad about work but one contact kept asking me who my expediter was thinking that expediters offered Architectural services. I kept replying that I have a person that waits in line for me. She insisted that I needed an expediter to do the job. What? But this is common amongst property managers.

I recently had an interesting conversation with someone in the know who told me they were investigating and prosecuting a number of expediters who were offering Architectural Services. I didn't tell her that.

Nov 24, 09 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

People here seem to thing that expediters are actually required to get things thru permitting. One annoying side effect of the whole "badged expeditor" thing.

Nov 24, 09 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ahh. dirk lohan. i assumed it was denison the article quoted.

i didn't know he was his grandson.

christ, if my dad was mies (or kahn, or corb, or wright, or zumthor) there is no way i'd want to be an architect.

i'm thinking i might put my position on ebay...

Nov 24, 09 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Is that article online for those of us outside of Chicago.

Have a relative that was an ID in Chicago. She was let go over a year ago. Short stint in sales and again let go. Back for a new degree and career change now. She says Chicago is far worse than where I'm at. Hmm, it ain't good here either.

Nov 25, 09 8:58 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

is the article online somewhere

Nov 25, 09 11:07 am  · 
 · 
blah

Bossman and Aqua,

I looked and didn't see it.

Manta,

I just explained to my client that expediters used to reserve whole weeks and even months of time via the old fax system. They would brag about being able to get you an appointment on Thursday when everyone else was 5 weeks out.

No more!!!!

It's fine and online. Appointments are as little as a few days out depending on demand.

:-)

Nov 25, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
gresham

For those that may be interested, Chicago Magazine has finally posted the article referenced above to their web site:

Shaking the Foundation: Chicago's architecture community devastated by recession

Dec 7, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

What an amazing time for the US. I really enjoyed the comment by "broke-i'tect,"

Dec 7, 2009 12:43 pm Posted by broke-i-tect
The worst part of this past boom was that salaries and compensation kept falling to the point where a licensed architect is often less compensated than the laborers on the job sites. Who made all the money? Did anyone? Was it just the developers? Banks? Architecture firm owners? I know not one architect currently employed in my group, and after a decade of substandard pay many are in financial holes they can not climb out of without leaving the profesion entirely for such noble pursuits as bartenders, personal trainers and even a grocery store clerk. I fear there may not be any architecture for the next generation at this rate because even if the economy comes back, who will be dumb enough to go back to that?

What is your plan if the jobs don't come back for 2,3 or 4 years? I think the profession will emerged changed, not only aesthetically, but in the way a project is delivered.

The article talks about how firms and styles that boomed during one period were lost/changed after a recession. I'm not old enough, but can someone tell me if the hand drafting to cad converson happened during the bust in the early 80's? What effect did that have on the workforce and how many of those folks made it back to the profession?

Dec 7, 09 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
blah

He's right.

The thing I find shocking is that people think we offer them nothing.

Even when they get caught without permits and are in a real hole...

Dec 7, 09 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

interesting article thanks for the link... i was a bit suprised to see that there the arch-field in chicago is behind only LA... i knew there were a lot of architects here but figured LA would have us beat... and maybe even some major southern cities were wages and cost of living is so much lower.

As for my impression on the remaking or the field, ive only been in it a few years, so obviously its a new perspective, but from my experience, the people who survived at my office were the versatile ones. Can you design, produce, render, and detail? then... here at least, theres a better chance youre still working...

to me, becoming valuable is like any other investment... its never wise to narrow your focus... its easier to become expendable when you serve only one or two functions.... id say we should all be making it a priority to become more than just architects... learn to make production level renderings... learn to develop websites... etc etc...

Dec 7, 09 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Developers made the money. A LOT of it. I know, I watched them walk in and out our doors as clients. LOTS and lots of money flowed to developers. Just stupendous.

Dec 7, 09 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I know one and they think your fee is optional. They'll offer you 50% of what's in your proposal. I avoid these guys now but it is getting very cut throat out there.

Dec 7, 09 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

This quote just makes me laugh:

“The whole green movement is going to filter down to the workplace in the next few years, and I think there’s going to be demand for office buildings that don’t exist,” he says. “Corporations are going to want to be in healthy, green buildings so that they can attract the best employees and improve productivity.”

Yea, let's go green and save the earth by abandoning existing office buildings (which could conceivably be made more energy efficient through retrofitting) in a glutted market and scraping pristine sites to build brand new buildings so that companies can attract the best employees and pat themselves on the back for being green....man, you gotta love developers, they have no shame.

Dec 7, 09 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

yeah, what ever happened to reduce, reuse recycle? certainly, that's a factor. even, driving a used car can be more green than driving a brand new hybrid, depending on the model.

Dec 7, 09 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

well ok that was somewhat facetious of me. slash bitter. The developers I worked with seemed to be very comfortable. I had an architect-turned-developer client try to sell me on what an incredible amount I could make if I switched professions like he did. I guess it made an impression...

Dec 7, 09 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

TOTALLY emilio -- I was thinking that too! Typical attitude. It's not about taking care of our planet, it's about finding the next niche to exploit in order to make a profit.

The saddest part is that I don't even think he's at all conscious of the inherent conflict in his words.

Dec 7, 09 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the tear stained copy of chicago magazine at the borders is the one i read.

Dec 7, 09 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Anyone know how many are left at SOM Chicago?

I know their NYC office is down to about 350 (from 600 in 2007)

Dec 7, 09 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
chicagoarchitect

Go read this week's Crains Chicago article on "zombie buildings" - term refers to commercial (office) building properties where owner has defaulted on its financing. Article notes that "zombie buildings" are not only in default and likely foreclosure, but new leases are also unlikely to occur because owner has no monies for broker commissions and tenant improvement costs. These two big-ticket items are landlord's cost responsibility when a new lease is signed; most tenants are also looking for a large "free rent" period in new lease negotiations.

So not only has the new "office tower" development market slowed to a standstill for architects, but the old-reliable interiors projects will also be curtailed while new leasing activity slows to a standstill as well. Few tenants will remodel at their own cost. Most office tower landlords are hoarding cash for their refinancing requirements for increased owner equity.

Dec 8, 09 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
2scale

Looks like Adrian Smith has taken on the gargantuan task of starting an effort to green Chicago's existing buildings:

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/daily/archives/091029decarbonization.asp

Dec 9, 09 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

...Just by the looks, this country is remodeling into another third world country.

Dec 9, 09 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
gresham

Wow, frightening article in Crain's, chicagoarchitect. I just looked it up:

Zombie fears stalk Tishman in the Loop

Grim news indeed.....

Dec 22, 09 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i don't get it. why is chicago so unbelievably fucked? i mean, everyone is, but i don't think there is a major city in the US that is worse than chicago for architecture right now.

Dec 22, 09 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
model.bot

Detroit?

Dec 23, 09 12:43 am  · 
 · 
Digital_Sandbox

Chicago is no Detroit. In fact I will go on a limb and say Detroit hasn't been a major US city for a while now. At least not since the late seventies.

Dec 23, 09 1:46 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Detroit only lives on in our hearts and minds as a great city as told to us by major corporations in the 1960s and 1970s that it was a great city.

Dec 23, 09 2:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: