Archinect
anchor

After a Pre-professional degree, best option for making the most money

w4000

I have a pre-prof. architecture degree. I am looking into an M.Arch \ mba maybe a M. Urban Planning / MBA... I am open to other options. I am just trying to get a feel what what is the most lucurative atm... suggestions?

Nov 24, 09 4:56 pm
gresham

JD

Nov 24, 09 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

I want to switch to Industrial Design..You can also consider graphic design if you're more on the artistic side.I have a pre-prof degree also,I mean I'll have one next month and I'm not going to go to a graduate school for architecture, NEVER ever never!!! But if I had the chance(and the financial means) to go to a graduate school I'd definitely choose business/marketing. It would be very useful if you're thinking of operating your own business someday.I'm thinking you can never go wrong with a business/marketing degree. All else you can learn it by practicing.

Nov 24, 09 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
chicagoarchitect

Sales rep for pharmaceutical company, or medical appliance manufacturer. Short of going to a top-notch law or business school and incurring significant student loan debt, this is the certain route to a renumerative career after a four-year bachelor degree at a big-ten school. Cheerleaders and frat brothers are encouraged to apply, due to their outgoing nature and strong social skills. No kidding.

I'm still mulling over the Chicago Magazine article on unemployed architects here.

Nov 24, 09 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

I was thinking about Industrial Design too, because this is the field of inventions, and if you invent something good, you get to collect royalties for life or sell patents to large companies for $millions!

Nov 24, 09 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

Why, how bad is it in Chicago?

I'm supposed to graduate in 4 weeks with a bachelors and I'm scared.

Right now it seems working at Pier One or Crate and Barrel are your most lucrative options.

Nov 24, 09 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

"I was thinking about Industrial Design too, because this is the field of inventions, and if you invent something good, you get to collect royalties for life or sell patents to large companies for $millions!"

I'm thinking of inventing a Jump to Conclusions mat.

Nov 24, 09 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

"Right now it seems working at Pier One or Crate and Barrel are your most lucrative options."

Are they hiring? (This is a serious question) I always wanted to work at Pier 1!

Nov 24, 09 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

this thread is fail -.-

Nov 24, 09 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
doctorzaius

yeah, out of touch
epic fail

Nov 24, 09 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

This is possibly the worst thread I have ever seen. w4000, please spare us by nver posting again.

Nov 25, 09 6:41 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Planning. By a long shot.

The starting pay of an entry level planner (masters with 1 year equivalent experience) is about 10 grand more than Intern/Architect I.

Hell, a business-side entry-level project manager starts at 45k and only requires a related B.A. and 1-2 years of business and or management experience.

Nov 25, 09 7:15 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I'd also suggest giving handy jays to rich older married men.

Nov 25, 09 7:15 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

A good friend had a big titty cousin that waitressed at the clubs downtown three nights/week. For less than 24 hours of work/week she was raking in more than $65k a year....and this was ten years ago. At the time I wasn't making even close to that and working a hell of a lot longer hours.

Of course she got old and now is an aspiring hair stylist...I think...but if you want to make good money while you are young and dumb it's an option.

Nov 25, 09 9:13 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Marrying money or winning the lotto are by far the best options.

You could try to find the next Microsoft or Google, too, that'd work.

Nov 25, 09 9:36 am  · 
 · 
w4000

jplourde just because i am empoyed and your not, there is no need to cry about it

Nov 25, 09 9:56 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

I work for Foster + Partners. how do you like them apples?

Nov 25, 09 10:01 am  · 
 · 
w4000

eww. haha

Nov 25, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

pretty sure i'd rather work for a pritzker winner then base my life decisions on the most 'lucrative' option...

if you want to make money, then ANY of the design disciplines are not for you.

here ill help you out:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/

Nov 25, 09 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

F+P is fuck city bangin'.

Nov 25, 09 11:17 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

If "lucrative" is your only concern, try your hand at selling crack. Or stealing people's kidneys. Or robbing a bank. All very good career moves, if you're only aiming at the most money to make.

Nov 26, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
oakley

wow, people sure do get nasty on here. There's nothing wrong with asking about a more lucrative path. Maybe if more people did that, there wouldn't be so many whiney posts about under-compensated under-appreciated architects, blah blah blah. uh, newsflash, it's not a lucrative field for the most part.

Some friends of mine have switched into Industrial Design and specifically Interaction Design, which tends to pay pretty well. It's something to consider if you're open and still want a design-oriented profession.

Nov 29, 09 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Whoever said that industrial design is a 'lucrative' profession has probably never met or interacted with an industrial designer. I know roughly 10 people that graduated from arts center here in Pasadena, and each of them had a significant gap before they landed full-time jobs. Sure, you could invent something and become rich, but thats something about 5% of Industrial designers actually get to do in their lives, after jumping though all the Patent hurdles.

Nov 29, 09 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: